• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

France, Alps, Italy, Seats, Fun

WBeaumont

Well, early this week I got back from my trip around France (and a little bit of Italy) in the 1602.

I had an absolutely fantastic time and a lot of that was down to my car. I could not think how it could have been better (except the battery going dead on the forecourt of a French petrol station*). Fantastic up and down those alpine roads, annoying people in there modern German and Japanese "sports cars." I think my youthful exuberance and lack of fear helped lose a couple of those 911s.

It was even bearable on the motorway. The twin 40s its running were never intended to be comfortable or economical but I got (on average) about 20mpg.

I might just have to take another trip on the continent soon as it was so much fun. Some of the photos are of the my car at an old disused, although repainted, pit stop just west of Reims.

Just before I went away I installed some new seats to keep me from flying all over the place on those hair-pin bends. They are not rare or old like some of the Scheels I lust over but they are pretty 70s. Also pretty small; anyone with over a 34inch waist might have a little trouble squeezing in though.

*Completely my fault; after a poor attempt to start the car one morning I went to fill it up and even though it had ran long enough to get warm it wasn't really long enough to make the alternator light on the dash go out but I still turned it off. If it hadn't happened I would never have had the fun of asking for a bump start in my very best French.

post-3910-13667609896572_thumb.jpg

post-3910-13667609898039_thumb.jpg

post-3910-1366760989929_thumb.jpg

post-3910-13667609900632_thumb.jpg

post-3910-13667609902027_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

FYI, per Tony Kewin, The Complete Book of BMW, p. 65: 44,907 1602's were produced in 1974 and '75. BMW stopped production of them in 1976. Probably none were officially imported to the USA. 1502's were only produced from '74 to '77.

Roger

'72 Malaga

Good for you. I remember taking my first ('71) '02 all over Europe in the '70s.

When were the black/silver licence plates made legal in the UK? I had them on my Touring (N) until I got stopped by Mr. Plod and told no later than an L plate was legal.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I had a 75 sahara 1802 when I was in stationed at Sembach/Ramstein Air Base in the early 80's. I drove that car all over Europe. I've been driving an 02 ever since then. I'm still driving a sahara 02

G-Man

74 2002 tii, sahara

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Damn...sounds like an awesome trip. I always yearn for a vintage ride when I'm in europe but I always end up with a disel Audi wagon or something.

Where did you get those seats? That exactly what I want for my 67 1602.

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

The seats are in fact Corbeau Alpines with out the head rests. Usually when sold without the head rests you still get the holes in the top for the headrests but if you request and don't mind waiting a bit longer they will make them sans holes.

Mine is a real 1602 but with a 2.0ltr in it. I still have the original engine but didn't see the point in spending tome and money rebuilding the 1600 when I wanted a bit more performance over originality.

The black and silver plates are technically not legal. The front one is barely visible because of the angle its at and the Cibies take up their fair share of room too. I haven't been pulled though... yet.

I want to go again in August/September. Maybe go to the Nurburgring and they 02 show at Lelystad in Holland.