• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toyota project

canadamatt

corona1.jpg

corona2.jpg

Well after years of bugging him, my brother finally got this Corona (68?) from a buddy who never completed the project. I had never even heard of a Corona before this. The tires were shot, so we grabbed some 17" rims that were lying around and put some cheap rubber on them. The plan is to simply drive the car as is until something major blows up (ie, engine or the auto trans), then put some jap 4cylinder turbo in it. Its in pretty good shape overall, the previous owner had some sheetmetal in the floors and trunk replaced, but missed some so thats on the 'immediate' list.

And it has rear leaf springs...hmmmm, what to do about that...

There is something about hammering around in an old low-powered stock car that is a blast, thats for sure

Matt

Please stay retro with this car. The original engine is probably a 3-RC or possibly an 8-RC. Neither is a particularly great design (IMO) but I have a suggestion if / when the time for a new power plant comes...In Japan (probably Canada too - everywhere but the US) Toyota offered an engine in early Celicas called the 18RG. Early twin-cam (Yamaha design)high technology hi-po stuff. These engines used to be available cheap through importers. I'm not trying to sound like a "Toyota purist" by any means!! But there's no reason to stray away from an early Toyota engine, easily adapted to that platform. If all else fails you can build a 3tc 1.8 hemi pushrod motor with wicked power output and durability for surprisingly little money.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©