• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

esty carpets..........nice!

redrasta

Just got my brand new carpet set in da mail and it looks really good.......thanks esty. So the only questions i have are has anyone used por-15 on there floors? I did, covered them in about 3 mil of the stuff and now im ready to go in with the carpet and was wondering if i should hit it with a sander as to help the anhisive bond with the floor? also what type of anhisive do you fellows recommend?

Bob Marley owned a 1600 cause the B.M.W also stood for "Bob Marley and the Wailers

Guest Anonymous

I just installed an Esty-set last week and you will only need glue on the vertical pieces. The flat pieces remain in place well under their own weight. A few tips:(1) go very slowly and deliberately to get a perfect installation (consider doing the job over several days), (2) be prepared to trim, as necessary, (3) measure the location and dimensions of the hand brake and shifter cut-outs very carefully, the markings on the back of that piece of carpeting may not be exactly correct for your car (consider making a pattern first with newspaper) and (4) the foot wells will require "darting" the top of the carpet, or filling in the foot well depression with syrofoam to get the carpet to lay perfectly flat. But when the job is done, the new carpeting looks great. Esty does a great job at a significant savings to the high price "spread." Good luck

Roger

'72 Malaga

RBenson685@aol.com

While you are already down to the floor panels, why not lay in some sound deadening material before you lay the new carpet?

My new esty set should arrive today(can't wait) and I'm going to try laying down some ice dam rubber left over from a roofing job last spring as a deadener. We have to deal with that kind of stuff here in Minnesota so maybe there is a side benefit to nasty winters.

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

I just installed an Esty-set last week and you will only need glue on the vertical pieces. The flat pieces remain in place well under their own weight. A few tips:(1) go very slowly and deliberately to get a perfect installation (consider doing the job over several days), (2) be prepared to trim, as necessary, (3) measure the location and dimensions of the hand brake and shifter cut-outs very carefully, the markings on the back of that piece of carpeting may not be exactly correct for your car (consider making a pattern first with newspaper) and (4) the foot wells will require "darting" the top of the carpet, or filling in the foot well depression with syrofoam to get the carpet to lay perfectly flat. But when the job is done, the new carpeting looks great. Esty does a great job at a significant savings to the high price "spread." Good luck

Roger

'72 Malaga

RBenson685@aol.com

good suggestions...the markings that may or may not be on the back are approximate...but only in that they are smaller, permitting you to trim to a tight fit around the parking brake and shifter...on the passenger side, rather than "darting" the carpet, the piece is made to fit like it is...the problem is there is a somewhat deep recess high up on the passenger side footwell that looks like an indent for a pedal box...it can be dealt with by adding a few layers of padding just to level that area or...the way i did all of my cars was to use a small thin piece of aluminum roof flashing just laying across that indent...i used small sheet metal screws on one car but found that a little goop on the corners will hold it in place

the other place that may require some finesse is the center section from approximately the parking brake back to the rear seat frame...you'll probably have to use some padding in that area to take out the bulk...or make a couple of strategic relief cuts to get the section to lay down in that area...

the rest should lay perfectly in the car...the pieces that cover the rocker and the rear piece that cover the seat frame are just glued in place then i run a razor knife along the top of the rocker weld and seat frame and cut off the excess flush then snap the rocker trim in place

www.carpet-install.blogspot.com

i've made a change in the way i'm cutting the front and rear floor sections so the blog won't show the installed pieces...i've been lazy/busy and haven't added pictures yet but when you lay the drivers or passengers front pieces in place. it should be obvious what happens...the rear piece now covers the floor section and hides the back of the seat frame

if anyone ever has any questions of needs any helps don't hesitate asking me...

another best tip i can offer is lay the pieces out in the sun for a short while...that will help removing any folds or wrinkles from packing and most importantly will make the carpe more pliable and easier to shape

a couple of pics of the 'revised' floor sections...

jfu1zl.jpg

2u8eyrp.jpg

~ redrasta.....you're welcome mister

I installed a set of Esty's new E21 carpets on my Schwarz E21 and it totally transformed the car's interior. E21 carpets are notorious for fading to an ugly brown color. Hard to believe that the ones on the car were originally blue!

Very easy to install, and the carpet material looks to be very sturdy.

Before:

001.jpg

After:

020.jpg

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

is the super 90 better than the super 77

according to the hype on the cans, 90 is stronger but i doubt that it matters with what we're discussing...i've used them all and can't tell what the differences are

if anyone is concerned...you can spend $60.00 for a gal of hhr contact cement...it's the really strong stuff used for vinyl tops and applications exposed to hi temp situations