• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My vintage racer

pbastyr

Last fall I added another car to the garage. It's a 1969 McNamara Formula Vee. I finally was able to get it out for my first vintage race last month. I'm currently working through some of the items that the tech folks pointed out in the hopes that I can get the car out to Road America next month to run with the VSCDA (last year they had a field of 27 vees and their numbers are growing). Just thought I'd share some pics.

Also, here's a link to a small story on my friends vintage racing blog:

http://thechicaneblog.com/2009/07/23/paul-finishes-his-first-race-in-his-vintage-mcnamara-vee/

Cheers.

Paul

post-1433-13667610326007_thumb.jpg

post-1433-13667610327635_thumb.jpg

There are cars that come up for sale (as well as parts and tech forums) here:

http://www.formulavee.org/interchange/

People also list links to ebay auctions and it seems that alot of cars have come up recently. Most of the cars that I see on ebay need ALOT of work.

You might also try talking to people who run vees locally. I showed up at a few 'local' track events wearing a homemade t-shirt which said 'Wanted: Vintage Vee'. I walked around the paddock at talked to the open wheel guys. As it turned out someone had recently decided their late father's car needed to pass to someone who would race it and take care of it. They lived 15 blocks south of me.

-Paul

Paul -

Congratulations - very cool indeed! You've combined my (2) favorites with the 2002 and air-cooled VW.

I think Formula Vee has lots of restrictions regarding the engine - still using single port heads and small Solex carb (correct??).

I noticed your front axle beam is the pre-66 king and link pin type. Does it have height adjusters welded into the center tubes?

More pictures please.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

It is a 1200cc motor and uses a single barrel solex. It has a hotter cam and should put out 55 or so hp and rev to around 6000 rpm.

I'm really just learning about VW as I've never really touched anything that wasn't either a bmw or a large GM sedan.

I don't think that there's a whole lot of adjustability in the front suspension, though I really haven't had too much of a chance to mess with it. I'm about a foot taller than the previous owner, so I've been mostly concerned with making myself fit in the car, secondly, I've been trying to make it safe by adding new seat belts, brake lines and pads, wheel cylinders, replacing stripped hardware, etc.

Attached are a few more detail and in progress photos.

Paul

post-1433-13667611307184_thumb.jpg

post-1433-13667611308931_thumb.jpg

post-1433-13667611311069_thumb.jpg