• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rattlin nasty silver 1602 (small update)

A great but neglected old hotrod I got from Andy. Had a serious engine build in the early 90's and a poorly installed turbo body kit. Pretty dry car from NM but still has some rocker rust.

Good points:

5-speed

3.91 lsd

huge swaybars

10.5:1 2.0 with dual 45s and a dr. schrick 292

tii dizzy with pertronix

big brakes with long studs

cool 15x7 et20 bbs that I've never seen before

one nice se recaro

Since I've had it I've:

-sorted out the crappy cable throttle linkage so that the 45's open all the way when you hammer it.

-hacked the springs so that there is actually justification for the flares.

-gone crazy with silver rustoleum.

-slapped on a turbo spoiler.

-replaced the mangled kidney.

-replaced all the rusty screws on the flares with stainless.

-tightened a disturbing number of loose fasteners.

-driven the piss out of it.

when I got it

photo-2-1.jpg

Now

38f8ea12.jpg

4e9f90e3.jpg

The crusty, dusty interior is next. It's currently sporting log cabin style dirt floors.

f0ca3fd2.jpg

I have a roll bar on the way, Esty carpet kit in the garage and coilovers almost ready. My vw rear disc kit is nearly complete I'm thinking of trying my upholstery skills out on my E21 Recaros. It's an awesome ride to blast around town in. Sorry for the phone pictures.

b32de913.jpg

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

Nice car...

One question: I have seen some air dams with two ports...and now yours with one port in the front. Is this for pulling cool air into the carb, or for installing a fog/driving lamp, or what?

I'm looking for a dam for my car now, but didn't know what these ports were designed for.

Thanks,

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

Nice car...

One question: I have seen some air dams with two ports...and now yours with one port in the front. Is this for pulling cool air into the carb, or for installing a fog/driving lamp, or what?

I'm looking for a dam for my car now, but didn't know what these ports were designed for.

Thanks,

I'm not sure on this one. It's an OEM turbo air dam. I've seen dual port versions that are designed with brake cooling in mind.

73 M2 evolving project

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

Gentlemen please correct me if I am wrong...I think the hole is for the intercooler or oil cooler...

Nice car...

Thanks,

Time is the ruler of all...

Gentlemen please correct me if I am wrong...I think the hole is for the intercooler or oil cooler...
Nice car...

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure you're right on with the oil cooler (on a turbo)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/q/w/23.png

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

• 1 month later...

I put the SE Recaro in the passenger side ( too cushy for my taste) and traded some stuff for this black and grey recaro that I love....very firm and supportive. I wish I could find a matching one.

A week of rain has revealed some leaks (heater box area?) so I have to address that before I can get rid of the tar and do the carpet/rollbar.

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Found some cool vintage recaro stickers in my paperwork

IMG_0881.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness