• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

83 Hartge H23

TavernGnome

Hey everyone. I'm trying to sell my authentic Hartge H23 and I'd like to get back into a 2002. I'm completely up for a trade if anyone else is. I'd like hot rod 02s. Built motors, flares, coilovers, all that stuff. If you have something that may interest me or you are interested in my car in general, please let me know. Thank you for your time,

Ryan

Here is a copy of my craigslist ad.

57.jpg

morecar071.jpg

IMG_2949-1.jpg

IMG_2911resize.jpg

IMG_2889p.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

The Hartge H23 is a tuned version of the Euro market 323i. Hartge is a tuning company in Germany with close ties to the BMW factory much like Alpina and AC Schnitzer. They developed special version of BMW cars and sold them as their own, they still do today. This car is exceptionally rare, especially in the states. 170 Horsepower 2.3 liter inline 6.

The car is one of the 5 H23s imported through Performance Plus in Florida during the 80s. It is the only Hartge they imported in Burgundrot Metallic. Out of the 5 that came in, I can only guess how many are still around. I hear there is another in San Diego. Scott Epstein formerly of Performance Plus was able to verify that my VIN was in fact one of theirs and also provided me pictures of the car when it was brand new.

The car was ordered with just about all of the Hartge options.

- Hartge cylinder head and valve cover

- Hartge header and exhaust

- Hartge Oil Cooler

- Hartge suspension including sway bars and strut braces

- Hartge long range fuel tank in the trunk

- Hartge steering wheel, shift knob, extra guage cluster

- Hartge Mono Wiper

- Hartge Valance, rear skirts and decklid spoiler

The car has 171,000 miles on it. It runs very well. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. Over the last year I sourced Hartge sideskirts and 15" wheels from the wonderful BMW community. They aren't correct for an 83 but they look great. The originally came with BBS RAs and no skirts. The car received a nice complete respray a few months ago as well. Glasurit was used all the way from primer to clear. I also swapped out the very tired tan cloth interior for a beautiful grey cloth interior out of a Baur. I still have the original Recaro seats as well.

The car has had a lot of money thrown at it over the last few years. I have probably $8,000 in receipts from the previous owner. Thats before all that I put into it. With a little bit more the car could be truly incredible.

With that said, I'll admit the car isn't perfect. It isn't going to to sweep the Concours circuit just yet. It could use some underhood detailing. Some of the trim could be better, the wheels should be refinished or swapped with the correct BBSs, the exhaust isn't correct although I still have the original header, muffler and tip, the trunk carpet isn't that nice, the sunroof is finicky, and so on. Nothing serious. I have a big box of tune up parts and misc. stuff for the car that will be installed in the next week or so. I'm hoping to dig up a set of fog lights as well. All and all its still very very nice.

As for the price. I have been thinking about trying the eBay route with some professional photography along with it. I think it could do well. Honestly I'd rather sell it to the right home for a reasonable price. I'd like to see $10K for it. I think that is more than fair considering. I'd also trade for a nice hot rod 2002. If you are seriously interested please ask questions. I know a lot about the cars history and previous owners. I know I'm forgetting a lot but this is a good start. Thanks for your time,

Ryan

95 525it S50/5

1973 3.7csi- sold

83 Alpina B9 3.5 -sold

83 Hartge H23- sold

Nice E30, I would love to have it but I'll never again buy a gray market car from out of state and try to register it in CA. Trying to register my 81 Euro spec E12 528i that I bought in WA last fall was a nightmare. I'd rather have hot pokers in the eye than go through that experience again. Now if I lived out of state, that would be a different story. Good luck on your sale.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Nice E30, I would love to have it but I'll never again buy a gray market car from out of state and try to register it in CA. Trying to register my 81 Euro spec E12 528i that I bought in WA last fall was a nightmare. I'd rather have hot pokers in the eye than go through that experience again. Now if I lived out of state, that would be a different story. Good luck on your sale.

G-Man

I hear ya. I've read horror stories about it. It may have been your horror story now that I think about it! You bought Frank's car right? Thanks for the kind words!

I'm still waiting for your e28.

:)

good luck with the sale Gnome!

Are you stalking me?! Haha. Apparently a lot of people are waiting for my E28. I got 3 emails about it in the last 24 hours! Its not even officially for sale! Might be a good time to put in a bid though! Thanks!

Ryan

95 525it S50/5

1973 3.7csi- sold

83 Alpina B9 3.5 -sold

83 Hartge H23- sold

Ha! thats hilarious. I wonder if I've stirred up the proverbial "pot." I don't even know your car, I just saw it in one of your signatures. I've got a 528e thats works for now. Slow and boring, but reliable. I had a rare bimmer that i sold a couple of months ago. I really miss it. I wish I would've kept it now. I'm trying to stay out of the market for at least a year. I need to learn some loyalty. I sold a ti on here about 5 years ago and here i am, lurking around again. I've got this "weakness" when it comes to rare bimmers. :)

Anyways, i'm down in portland. I will keep your e28 in the back of my mind though and seriously bug you about it then.

Good luck with your sale. Nice car!