• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help - hood stuck closed!

rijco

I just got the car back from my mechanic (major rebuild project) and drove it to the island where I live, and discovered that the hood will not open. The cam lock handle is working, but the wire goes slack when half way open and the hood stays solidly locked closed.

This is a problem because the brand new alternator apparently isn't charging, so I ran the battery down using the lights last night and now I have a dead battery and no way to get under the hood!

I suspect the last minute hood adjustments my mechanic did as I was picking up the car may have created the problem as I've never had this happen before.

Any suggestions as to how to get the hood open so I can charge the battery and get this car home?

I've been pulling and banging from various locations for two days without any luck, until just an hour ago when it finally released! Anyone have any advise as to why this happened and how to avoid it in the future? I'm not locking the hood again until I can figure out how to make whatever adjustments are required.

Mine has done that before when i leaned on the hood lock mechanisim and the wire slipped off the cam. The hood closed fine and even locked but when i went to reopen it no go. So after messing with the hood and looking up under it i saw that the cable was off. Took the tension off and put it back on the cam. thats my 02

dave

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

Try pushing down on the top of the hood next to the windshield. Mine sticks occasionally and with a little push down on either the left or right side on the windshield end of the hood it should open.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

Rijco,

You said the mech did some last min adj to the hood. Do you kno what he adjusted? If the latch receivers ( those angled metal tabs on the hood that the rollers snug onto) are adjusted too tight the latch bar will bind. This happened to me and I had to push down on the hood over that location to allow the latch to disengage. You probably tried that but it is a little counter intuitive to push down for release...your instinct is to pull up.

Like MikeD said earlier;-)

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)