• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guitar legend-inventor Les Paul dies at age 94

f1reverb

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090813/D9A24BC00.html

Guitar legend-inventor Les Paul dies at age 94

Aug 13, 12:56 PM (ET)

By LUKE SHERIDAN

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) - Les Paul, who invented the solid-body electric guitar later wielded by a legion of rock 'n' roll greats, died Thursday of complications from pneumonia. He was 94.

According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.

As an inventor, Paul also helped bring about the rise of rock 'n' roll with multitrack recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the tracks in the finished recording." . . .

Sad news. We recently went to the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, OHIO. (!!) There is a very good display crediting Les w/inventing the solid body electric guitar. Many photos and various crude prototypes are on exhibit. The prototypes were ugly and caused the execs at Gibson & other companies to be against them. Eventually the Les Paul Gibson electric guitar was born. (thanks to Les being a stubborn man with a Great Idea)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Sad day.

I still have my '74 Les Paul Custom "Black Beauty" Fretless Wonder, and my original Gold Top. The Gold Top has never been played - it sits behind a glass case, too priceless to touch. The '74 still has the most Gawd-awesome sound of all my git-fiddles. Next to my Frankenstrat, it's my favorite guitar.

Thanks, Les. True Genius.

post-1769-13667610587707_thumb.jpg

post-1769-13667610588556_thumb.jpg