• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is why I do my own maintenance

MatthewCervi

Matthew -

I couldn't believe there were (3) pages of posts with the end result telling you to essentially "get lost". I might be interested in a TDI Jetta, but if one is purchased, I'd stay away from that site. I wonder if www.thesamba.com is better for diesel owners?

I recall the nasty oil when I changed it in my parent's '81 Diesel Rabbit (purchased new). It quickly turned black, but we changed it at least every 4 or 5K miles back then (using Quaker State I believe). The fuel filter was also religiously changed, as the diesel fuel back then was really questionable. Unfortunately, the head gasket blew on it about 50K miles. IIRC, the VW dealer told us the head bolts "stretched" from the high compression. My dad was furious and we quickly got rid of the car after it was fixed. Shaky dash, bad glow plugs, broken inside and outside door handles, rattles, no power (even with 4 speed), etc.

I was tempted to purchase a new '87 16V GTI but their spotty build quality steered me right to Honda where I've been ever since.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"