• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drip Rail/Rain Gutter Trim too long?

Unishippers23

Hey All-

I picked up some new gutter chrome trim (that attaches above both doors) from my local supplier. I went to install them yesterday and the trim is about 5 inches too long leading to the rear of the car and an inch or so leading to the front.

I have a 76. Are the earlier 02's trim longer?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Cabe

1976 BMW 2002 - Sunroof

Verify that the parts you got are P/Ns 51 1 35 450 112/113. I've always thought that both roundies and square-lites used the same drip strip trim, but I could be wrong, but the differences, if any, would not be of the amounts you list. I'd be inclined to think you may have gotten trims for some other same-era BMW by mistake.

Bob Napier

The drip rail trim is the SAME on square and round light cars. How could it possibly be any different???????? DOH!

The first thought that came to me is that you may have gotten drip rail trim for a TOURING, not a SEDAN......

I'd verify the parts #s and send it back if wrong.... The distance between the bend at the top of the A pillar to the rear of the roof is the critical one here. I would not venture in cutting it at the rear which is where it would have to be cut if it is indeed Touring trim..... That pinch at the rear of the roof is not easily duplicated.......

If for some odd reason it is long down the A pillar by the hood than by all means.... cut it.

HTH :)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Yes, like Tim says, you've almost certainly got the gutter trim for a Touring. The Touring windshield slopes back more than the sedan so the trim would be slightly longer at the front of the bend, and, as the Touring has no trunk, so to speak, it is probably a good 5" or 6" longer along the roof.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Yes, like TOM JONES says, "It's Not Unusual"

Sorry, just had to correct ya.... :)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Yes, like TOM JONES says, "It's Not Unusual"

Sorry, just had to correct ya.... :)

Sorry Tom.

I have a project manager called Tim at the moment. Can't get him out of my mind. He's the bain of my life.

I actually met Tom Jones in a hotel while working in Wales years ago. He's a lot shorter than you'd think.

Cheers,

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Hey Thanks all!

I thought about cutting it but figured that I didn't trust trying to round that end piece and have it come out halfway decent. They did give me the touring trim and I exchanged it today for the correct model. I just wanted to confirm that I'm not taking crazy pills!

Daniel,

Thanks for the offer. Believe it or not, I used to live one street up from you on Sierra Ave for close to 3 years. I didn't realize that until I put my info in our group Google Map and saw yours! I moved down to South San Jose a few months back.

If you ever need me to pick up parts at Double 02 Salvage my office is about 5 mins away and I'm up there daily, just let me know.

Cabe

1976 BMW 2002 - Sunroof

Bummer.. at least you didn't get 2 passenger side versions when properly ordering a left and a right! Now I have to send back to CA from NC and

was told they were out of left side stock. Leads me to believe the warehouse guy couldn't find the left so said "What the hell... there a bunch of rights in the bin!"

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com