• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emissions Control label replacement

nbcbird

Like many others restoring a 2002, I find a need for vinyl replacement engine compartment labels. Unfortunately these kits are a so-so match for the originals and have no replacement for the silver perforated “Vehicle Emission Control Info” label (located in the right window cowl recess adjacent to the hood latch assembly). I have been reproducing labels for my ’71 using some protypical German fonts in Illustrator and think I can come up with something close to the original the emissions label. But my label is obscure in two areas—hopefully someone still has an original or reference for two entries:

(1) the CID for the 2002 engine (something like 121.3) and (2), what the last 2 or 3 lines are after “H.F.W. AND CAL A.R.B. REGULATIONS APPLICABLE (I believe the first initials are H.F.W.). I’ll keep you posted on this turns out, and please don’t bother to reply on the legality of replacing the emissions label.

Amazing that with over 40 views nobody has been able to provide the missing info--or was this label installed only on a very select group/year of 2002s? I remember a conversation with Carl Nelson about this label when ordering his replacement labels years ago. If no info, any leads would be appreciated.--Jim

go look at my restoration blog

4280905 automatic resto...

you will get what you want.

I just reproduced theses recently, but the gray finish came in bad.

i also have the bmw eastern canada reproduced and thoses are nice.

EDIT, sorry here is what you are looking for i think

http://www.dagsites.com/emissions.htm

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

This is the best I can do.

Yours I have noted for a 1970 (btm left corner states 1970 model), and I've attached a pic for 1971.

What is your VIN?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The label mentions conformity to CAL ARB, but I don't think it was CA specific--this particular 2002 came from a dealer in Iowa (Buckelhaup Motors in Clinton). The HFW later became part of the EPA. I am told that later vehicles had much different emissions labels.--Jim

can any of you post a bigger picture of the sticker over the emission one about the tires ?

or you can send me the full res. pictures at my e-mail adress ?

patallen at b2b2c dot ca

thanks.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Pat -

I don't have a high-res. photo to offer. Maybe Bill Williams does.

ps: My car doesn't even have a sticker - there is a blank space below the original tii tire pressure sticker. I'd like to replace mine.

You can search for "Underhood Sticker Stress" to find the thread.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"