• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Almost 10 years and the car has never left me stranded!

dubois

I am not sure I am celebrating their simplicity, the fact that they do break down (sometimes), or that one is able to fix them when and if they do.

Yesterday I am showing off my car to another 02 enthusiast, took it for a long and hard drive on Qs (fun), and stopped to discuss how the car performed, all the upgrades, etc, etc. Get back in the car, try to start it and.. nothing! It wouldn't even crank! We are in the middle of nowhere, no worries this car has never left me stranded. Loose battery cable? check. Loose started cables? check. Loose ground? check. Stuck starter? check Loose ignition switch wires? Vroooom! All of than in less than 60 seconds! You've got to love it!

FAQ Member # 91

That's nice, but 10 years (without leaving one stranded) is nothing for an '02. When you get up to or beyond 37 years of flawless service, THEN you can talk about it ;) .......sure do hope I haven't just jinxed myself.

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002

In my nine years of owning my tii:

- Rear axle bolts started shearing off...as I was driving by a service shop 500 feet from where I worked. I drifted in and was able to pick up the car by the time I left work.

- Starter shorted out as I was pulling out of my garage. I parked it and switched cars.

- Fuel pump died as I was pulling out of my garage. I banged it with a hammer so I could get the car back inside and switched cars.

- Got a horrible noise from the rear end one day. I pulled over and couldn't find anything so I had the car towed. Discovered I had forgotten to sufficiently tighten the lugnuts on one wheel the day before.

So the only time my car really let me down was my own fault, not the car's. Pretty good considering what a mess the car was when I bought it.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

I am not sure I am celebrating their simplicity, the fact that they do break down (sometimes), or that one is able to fix them when and if they do.

How about our famous "ball-point pen" repair last year. Did you ever make that "fix" permanent? or is the pen still part of your fuel line??

Even when my lower ball joint completely separated from the control arm in front of my office, it was a 2 block tow to the shop, and I had it back the next day.

Yeah, I hope we don't jinx our reliability records now, they are very dependable cars. My daily driver, but won't hesitate to take it on 500 mile weekend "adventures". (SB to Monterey and back on Hwy 1 being the latest)

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Like many of the cars of that era, the 2002 was very well engineered and used very good quality components and material in building. If they are kept in "stock" configuration (not that I have any objection to intelligent modifications) and maintained according to the factory recommendations, and things like water hoses, thermostats, water pumps and flexible brake lines are replaced before they become unreliable, these cars are as reliable as anvils. I guess you could say that they are as reliable as their owners allow them to be.

Right now, I'm being rather cautious with my car, because it has sat for so long between periods of activity (we...my late father and I.....are the original owners). I've gone through the brakes and cooling systems, as well as the ignition system. I've replaced the exhaust system and all four tires and performed a "major" service, as specified by the factory. Next will be the "guibo" replacement, followed by new sub-frame and suspension bushings, the a/c system will get a going-over and a few electrical items will get some attention. The cooling system (which I last serviced in '07) will get more attention, in the form of a chemical flush, this fall, before the winter lay-up. With only 80,000 miles on it, the engine is like new. It's been driven briskly, always, but never "flogged" and has never been over-heated, either. Eventually, it may get restored. But, since they're only original once, I think I'll hold off for a long time to come.

Right now, I'm just glad to have such a fun, reliable "survivor".

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002