• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where oh where has my brake fuild gone?

kubes

Still reviving the 76 from sitting too long. Now onto the brakes, for a change of scenery. I have checked the calipers, wheel cylinders and bleed the entire system.

The car brakes fine and the pedal feels okay. Mind you the was a bit of rust in the drums and on rotors, but its wearing off and the brakes are really ok.

So the issue? I have to keep adding brake fluid. Allot, maybe a pint or two since I bleed the system maybe 20-30 miles or around town driving. Enough that I was sure I find a leak. So placed the car on a lift, climbed under it and check all the lines, recheck the calipers, all looked okay. So I was sure it was in the drums, but when I pulled off the drums the wheel cylinders are "dry". So in the end, no visible leaks! BTW, the clutch looks okay too.

I guess I have one of the "auto bleeding / flushing" break systems!

If its the master cylinder, would it bleed though where it connects to the booster?

Any other ideas?

As always thanks for the help!!!!!!!

Take a pencil, stick it down in the slit in your carpet next to the brake pedal, upon removal if it is wet...you have found your missing brake fluid.

Take out your carpet, soak up the fluid with rags in the pedal box and then use something like brake parts cleaner to spray down in there and try to clean everything up. Perfect time to replace the pedal box foam too.

Oh yeah, also replace the leaking bits.

-Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

My leak turned out to be the blue hose connections at the reservior. They were weeping just enough to moisten the fabric covering and wick down to the master cylinder and from there down to pool in the nooks and crannys of the control arm and sub-frame. It would drop an inch or so overnight with no visible evidence of a leak.

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

yeah, you might want to check the clutch master and then look at the foam pad around the pedal box. Thats where most "missing" fluid goes to die.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

Make sure you clean up the leaked fluid really well from all the metal parts it dripped onto or in. Otherwise they'll rust corrode. This is why Driver's side frame rails are generally much rustier than passenger side

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R