• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's a freeway on ramp you IDIOT!

tjones02

Why do some people continue to drive when they must have to wash their shorts every time they enter a freeway?

I have had to deal with SO many people who are SO scared of entering a freeway they come to a stop waiting for a totally clear spot.....

Sometimes I wish one could come over their radio like the voice of God and tell people things like....

"It's the tall pedal on the right!"

"You are on a freeway on ramp! Accelerate!"

"Hey, oblivious idiot, you are a terrible driver. Go ride a bus."

"Hey, I can't talk on my phone while driving because of people like you. You have trouble driving while thinking so why add a phone conversation to the mix?."

Sometimes one just needs their voice heard and to vent... :P

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Yeah, it call Merging! There's no way to merge into traffic travelling at 80 mph when one's vehicle is travelling at 40 mph. My God people, bring your car up to speed while on the entrance ramp.... that's what the ramps are designed for. I have a problem with slow drivers - or drivers that find it impossible to maintain a constant speed when travelling on an interstate highway. IMO, most Driver Education for new drivers is pretty much worthless.

you're required (by law in California) to stop until you can do so safely. It's not the job of those on the freeway to let you in as they have the right-of-way. But, as you say, the way to merge safely is to go faster than those already on the freeway and that requires maximum acceleration and maximum attention to your driving.

I had a waitress at a Love's BBQ observe me a few times entering the freeway using the ramp right next to the restaurant. She said I was a madman on the onramp. I was driving my 1979 Dodge Aspen wagon with a 225ci slant-six, which is heavy with a small motor. I had to enter the ramp from a dead-stop and floor it all the way up to the freeway when I'd barely be doing 55mph. I couldn't risk getting stuck behind a slow-poke or I'd never get up to speed to safely merge. In the same car I had a cop get mad when he pulled me over for speeding on the freeway, as I pulled over at the top of the next offramp which was a little way up the freeway. I explained to him that I needed to exit the freeway after the ticket and come back on via the onramp as it was impossible to pull back onto the freeway safely as the car had no acceleration. At least he accepted my explanation for taking my time pulling over as he handed me the ticket.

I was driving with a co-worker when he did that. I sorta flinched and said "What happened? Why did we stop?" He said he was waiting for the traffic. I said "Please don't do that with me in the car." Him "What?" Me, "Stopping at the bottom of an entrance ramp with 80 mph traffic inches away in a Dodge Caliber." I drove every time after.

I guess not everyone understands the idea of flow.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a firm believer in going faster than the highway traffic as one enters. It is the best way to get on the highway when it is absolutely packed. An like F1 I understand the need to wait at the beginning of the ramp the be sure the car in front will not slow me down. I had a 65 gmc half ton with a 305 v6- yes v6 not v8. 3 speed on the column. on short ramps I would wait- much to the disgust of the cars behind me- just to make sure that the car in front would not stop. I had to plan ahead...........

An unforgettable moment driving an ex girlfreinds 300zx- not a slow car. Getting on the loop that goes around raleigh durham. It was packed and everyone was really hauling. I was going thru the gears full throttle looking over my shoulder for the spot to slip into. Foind the spot, looked ahead again only to find the car infront of me stopped at the end of the entrance ramp. Brakeing at the limit just barely able to keep the car straight and I realized that I was not going ot be able to stop in time. Off to the right of the car ahead was a mile marker or some kind of unfriendly pole. I yanked the wheel to the right putting the car into a sideways drift and yanked it back to the left just as I was nearing the stopped car. The car jsut strightend out and i just slipped thru the space between the car and the pole. Now sliding with the nose pointed toward the highway I just downshifted and gunned it and merged from the shoulder- rocks and dirt flying everywhere. My ex said "why didn;t you stop for crying out loud?" I was just to freaked out.....

I find people now days just don't have any balls, and can't take charge. They just drive in their lane, at 60mph, and call it good. No situational awareness, or initiative. People also SUCK at driving in convoys. I've learned some military convoy driving techniques, and they work really well.

New to the 2002, new to working on cars all together.

-Marshall

Plain and simple...MOST PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was on an on ramp that merges with SIX lanes....so there is always plenty of room at the top of the ramp..not to mention you don't have to merge at all as the on ramp has its' OWN LANE for 2 miles.

I almost rearended a "lil' ol' lady" who decided to come to a COMPLETE STOP (at the top of the ramp), turn her head 180 degrees to view the oncoming traffic...before she would proceed.

She gave me no warning whatsoever that she was going to do this...

I slammed my wheel to the left...then to the right to go around her.

Of course, had I rearended her, technically, it would have been MY fault????

I swear 85% of people on the highway should not have a driver's license.

BUS_CARDfaq.jpg

AKA: "Captain Obvious"

Drivers:

'72 '02

75 Opel Ascona

e21

2-e30's

2-e28's

15+ parts cars

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/fosters.3

• 2 weeks later...
Plain and simple...MOST PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was on an on ramp that merges with SIX lanes....so there is always plenty of room at the top of the ramp..not to mention you don't have to merge at all as the on ramp has its' OWN LANE for 2 miles.

I almost rearended a "lil' ol' lady" who decided to come to a COMPLETE STOP (at the top of the ramp), turn her head 180 degrees to view the oncoming traffic...before she would proceed.

She gave me no warning whatsoever that she was going to do this...

I slammed my wheel to the left...then to the right to go around her.

Of course, had I rearended her, technically, it would have been MY fault????

I swear 85% of people on the highway should not have a driver's license.

total agreement. so many idiots out there!

the e30 is set up perfectly for merging as it tops out at 90mph in third gear. =D