• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas spilling out of tank

zane

I got home today, it's pretty hot at around 85*, and smelled fuel. Looking over at the '74 there was a puddle of gas at the back of the car. On closer examination it looked like there was fuel bubbling out of the gas cap lock and the seal of the cap. Thinking WTF, I opened the gas cap and about a quart of fuel proceeded to spill out. Can gas really expand that much? There have been much hotter days over the summer and I've never had an issue. The paint is blistered where the gas leaked to the ground.

What's going on? Has anyone ever experienced this?

Current: 1974 BMW 2002, 2004 VW R32, 2009 Infiniti FX35, & VW Eurovan Camper

Previously: 1970 BMW 2002, 1996 VW GTI, 1984 VW GTI, 1984 GTI

Not sure how you'd gain a quart, unless it's syphoning out. Like Esty said, make sure your gas inlet tube is vented or your vent is not blocked.

If you really are gaining a quart, let me know how - the price of gas these days you may have found the trick! (lol)

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

As far as I know the tank is vented. I'm assuming that's the tube that come from the expansion tank and feeds back into the filler neck. It really looked like the gas was siphoning out of the tank. Maybe the vent's clogged?

Current: 1974 BMW 2002, 2004 VW R32, 2009 Infiniti FX35, & VW Eurovan Camper

Previously: 1970 BMW 2002, 1996 VW GTI, 1984 VW GTI, 1984 GTI