• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Noobie! New to the Forum...

Pinball81

Anybody know what that is sticking out from the inside of the fender, just aft of the coil? I'm curious.

Bob Napier

Forgot to add that that is a very nice looking car.

To Bob and all of the others that asked.... the "weird, coily, rubber knobbed thingy" is.... (drumroll) part of an alarm system. It is the very primitive motion sensor. What you can't see in that photos is a steel alarm bell (about 7" in diameter) mounted inside the front right fender, as well. It's no longer active, but I was told it was very effective in its time! The original owner was an engineer for Unisys and built this alarm system. I initially thought I'd remove it; now considering leaving it just for the "character" it adds.

'76 2002 - Sahara

'05 ///M3 ZCP - Alpine White

Seet mama! Well, if your anything like me your going to find yourself cruising the web for hours on end. I'm new to the 2002 world myself and can't seem to get enough. Congrats on a very nice looking car!

Trust me, I'm already there!

'76 2002 - Sahara

Hi Dave! Love that color! Welcome to the offbeat world of Midwest '02 ownership. Give me your email address & I will keep you posted on any events we have in the OH/IN/MI/KY region. Good luck w/your new 'precious.'

Thanks, Jim! Honestly, Sahara was not at the top of my list of color preferences. But, the darker interior in this car really sets off the Sahara exterior. Looks very "classy." I think it was a great choice.

I'll send you my email address...

'76 2002 - Sahara

Dave,

A really nice, clean car... a nice find and I am sure you are enjoying the drives. I may be wrong, but (based on your engine bay pictures) I think you are missing the rubber intake boot that attaches to the summer/winter air intake box. If so, it is a $10-15 part that I am sure Steve (e.g., Blunt Tech from this forum) can get for you. Here is a link to the part I am referring to (see part no. 9 - rubber intake boot):

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2214&mospid=47140&btnr=13_0687&hg=13&fg=20&hl=41

Welcome to the forum!

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

Dave,

A really nice, clean car... a nice find and I am sure you are enjoying the drives. I may be wrong, but (based on your engine bay pictures) I think you are missing the rubber intake boot that attaches to the summer/winter air intake box. If so, it is a $10-15 part that I am sure Steve (e.g., Blunt Tech from this forum) can get for you. Here is a link to the part I am referring to (see part no. 9 - rubber intake boot):

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2214&mospid=47140&btnr=13_0687&hg=13&fg=20&hl=41

Welcome to the forum!

-Marc

Marc, Thanks for pointing that out! I had wondered about that, myself. I do have a box of extra hoses, etc., so I will sort that out before ordering a new one.

I'd be interested in your (or anyone's) thoughts regarding the stock air filter. It seems as if most guys seem to replace it. Should I put that on my to-do list? If so, what is the popular choice for replacement? Thanks!

'76 2002 - Sahara