• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this the end of Top Gear?

MAD02

Might be time for James May to open up a low performance driving school in Florida.

Seriously. What I see, now that there are just soooooooo many cable channels available on TV, is that these networks are trying hard to fill time slots. They will come up with a gem of a show, and rather than be content at it airing once a week, will exploit it to the fullest even showing it several times each day.

Growing up it used to be you waited eagerly for that one day of the week when your show was on. Now it is on so much that you have the script memorized. The concept of the show gets tired, as do the stars/creators.

But, I guess it fits with the current media audience. "Give me that. Give me LOTS of that. OK, now give me something new."

I like Top Gear. Some real gems have come out of that show. I'd like to envision a very long run for the show that ultimately ended with the guys running a race around a nursing home using a cane, a walker, and a wheelchair. The Stig would have to have a powered chair.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

• 2 weeks later...
Then it would be time for Leno to start up a proper US Top Gear.

John

funny, we have been having the who-should-do-the-us-top-gear debate for a while now. definitely not adam corolla, and although he is a "car guy", leno is a huge jackass (imo). part of the appeal of TG is how they clown everyone outside of (whats left of) the british car industry/culture, including americans. i don't think it can be replicated. the best they could do is find an unknown cast (maybe a group of guys from NASA or other GRM-style racing circuits) who can rise to the occasion with humor/wit and, above all, unflinching honesty.