• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M20 Rust Rod

JohnW

Picture850.jpg

Firstly, this is not a restoration blog. Secondly, purists will not like this car. Thirdly, they will probably like what I do with it even less.

It all started a couple of months ago. I'd previously owned 3 2002s over a period of about nine years. I pretty much thought I'd never own another since I had in my mind that the next one would have to A. Be fuel injected; B. Be something a little bit radical; and C. Be cheap.

So I had a perfectly good Miata when this rusty but nicely m20 converted showed up on craigslist. When I got it the interior was pretty much stripped as was some of the exterior trim and the bumpers.

guttedint-1.jpg

Picture855.jpg

The car sits on cut ST springs, with Boge struts up front and KYBs in the back. It rides on 320i steelies with 185/60 up front and 195/60s in the rear. It also has a 3.9 lsd. This set-up works a lot better than I expected -- better in fact than the Eibach springs/Bilstein HDs/ST bars on my old 02. But more on the suspension in a second.

I started off by changing the oil, swapping the stock steering wheel out for a Dino that was $25 on eBay and installing a sunroof seal because there wasn't one.

Then I committed the ultimate 2002 sin. The car was just too low in the front, so I reinstalled the front spacers to keep the oil pan from hitting the ground. There, I admit it.

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

I drove the car around like this for a few weeks and then started to gather parts for the interior. Fortunately, there is a lot of talent on this board. Thanks to Esty for the carpet and Al aka Bluedevils for the group buy seat belts, the 02 started to look and feel like a real car again. I also installed a center console that came with the car as well as a new Pioneer CD player and a roof mount e30 m3-style antenna. The car also got a used set of door panels courtesy of Monster02.

Before all that went in, though, I patched a few small rust holes that were in the driver's side floor plug area using fiberglass paper and POR-15.

Picture1039.jpg

Picture1044.jpg

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

On labor day I took the 02 on a ~320 mile round trip from Williamsburg to Wintergreen.

Picture1059.jpg

Picture1063.jpg

I left Wintergreen at about 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday. I lucked out. On the 13.1 mile stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway that took me to I-64 I only saw one other car the entire time. allowing me to stretch the m20's legs a bit on one of the best roads I've ever driven.

blueridgepkwy.jpg

The car performed beautifully overall on this trip. I had originally planned to replace the front struts and rear shocks with Bilstein Sports, but now I'm not sure. It rode so nicely and handled quite well overall -- I didn't feel beat-up by the time I got home. But I know with the Bilsteins will take the moderate "float" away that currently exists with this underdamped set-up. I'll have to think this through some more. ...

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

john,

Nice car!

Man, you shoulda called me when you're that close.

I'm envious. You should see the crap that I have, currently.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

Whoa now, big fella! I sold you some of that "crap!" Show some respect! LOL

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

Cuttie,

whoa, big fella! i was using "crap" in a lovingly, vintage patina context.

hehe.

ok, the E30 is the crap. the other 6 vintage Bimmers are special.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

john,

Nice car!

Man, you shoulda called me when you're that close.

I'm envious. You should see the crap that I have, currently.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

Actually, I am envious of all the great mountain roads you have out in your part of the state.

Sorry I didn't drop you a note -- I had an extra day off and it was kind of spur of the moment. But I should be back there before too long.

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

John,

if you have the chance, give me a shout.

you're right. lotsa fun roads.

i live near the "other" resort; Massonuthin' :)

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA