• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cant even get an 02

Frenchee

After trying working all summer to buy an e30 I changed my mind and wanted an 02. My dad won't even let me spend my money on my 02 and sadly I guess I wont be owning one.

Im so mad I cant spend my money on what I want. He says I will be broke in 6 months and will be asking for money because it will drain everything I have and im better off saving it.

I know saving is nice, yea why not but I want a car and especially an 02 and my goal was to get one with the money saved up but I cant even reach the simplest part of my goal buying it.

I feel like when Ill be out of college cars that use gasoline wont even exist anymore or be aloud.

My dad thinks owning an 02 is like owning a fucking 2009 M3 and tells me ill spend about 500 a month keeping it.

Its unfair since he got a car when he was 18 and crashed it. He wont even admit it when I brought it up.

Well im done ranting.

adios

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

your father has been around the block a fair time more than you. as hard as it may be to heed his advice you should allow for the possibility that his advice was developed over time and after experiencing his own pitfalls.

one trend i have noticed is the FACT that these cars are no longer cheap to fix up beyond the very basic mechanical items. without experience and a ready supply of donor cars on hand you WILL be spending a fair bit of money to fix them up.

save your money for your educational needs and treat yourself to an 02 only after you've accomplished a milestone that you've set for yourself. and just cuz you MAY think you have the funds to BUY one, doesn't mean you'll have enough money to actually keep it running and/or clean it up. there's 30+ years of backyard tinkering to deal with on any of them nowadays.

these cars will still be around once you've moved out of your parent's home and are paying all your own bills....

be patient and appreciate your father's sage advice.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Regardless of what car you get (or borrow), set some money aside for drivers training. Not parallel parking-drivers-ed, but performance stuff. Take a look at StreetSurvival.org. That could be a selling point to your parents.

Also, the Golden Gate Chapter Car Control Clinics are great. Basically, any professional, performance training is a step in the right direction. Some just cost more than others. Even showing up to an autocross or 12 is good. Just be sure to leave any ego at home and be open to learning.

Many years ago in Car and Driver, someone asked what perfomance car they should buy for their new driver child for $2000. The reply was to spend $1000 on drivers training (Bondurant, Skip Barber, etc...) and then the last $1000 on ANY car. The kid would be able to get the most out of any car after all that training. (BTW- the most fun I had autocrossing was in a bone-stock 02 with NO go-fast parts on it)

My son is approaching 17. I don't know if I'd encourage him into a 2002. At least not a clean, concours car as many of the trim bits have gone to stupid pricing. E30's are a better bet. I gust priced out front grilles for an E30 at $13.50 each from AutohausAZ. Now go find a price on 2002 grilles. Most of the running parts are still priced within reach, but if you want trim parts or tii parts, hold onto your shorts.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes