• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Measurement needed... Now with Pics!

Clownman

Hey guys im new to the forum and im in need of some help. I am making my own front strut brace and I need the measurement from the lower bolt on the drivers side tower to the lower bolt on the passengers side tower across the engine. I will try to post some pics of the mounts that i made today and when I get the bar finished. I dont have access to the car right now and won't for the next two weeks so any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Not sure what you mean by the "lower bolt"? There are 3 spaced around in a circle. Are you refering to the most inboard (toward the engine) bolt on each side? If that is what you're refering to then the dimensions on my car are:

Weight on front wheels: Center-to-center = 876 mm/34½"

Un-weighted (jacked-up): " = 877 mm/ 34½"+

But our cars can differ from one chassis to the next, so I'd advise you to either use slotted holes, or, measure your car when there is no weight on the front wheels.

Bob Napier

Oh so here are the pictures as promised. Thanks for the measurement and suggestions guys. I am incorporating a Left and Right hand threaded rod ends into the tube that I'm am going to make so it will be adjustable by just twisting to brace. What material do you think I should make it out of... Solid Stock Alum? Alum Tubing? Steel Tubing?

post-17057-13667612568653_thumb.jpg

post-17057-13667612569745_thumb.jpg

post-17057-13667612570703_thumb.jpg

I took that into account when I mocked them up, the bar is going behind the carb not over it. They are offset a bit (hopefully enough) so the bar should clear the back of the filter. Im switching to 318 EFI soon so if it does not fit with the carb I will just wait and install it when the EFI goes in.

Chris

HMMMM carbon fiber tubing... did not think of that. As for the e21 brace, I like mine a bit better. Mine will load on both sides vice just the back side, atleast that was my thought. Plus its not costing me anything to make it... gotta love School! Thats where im making all of this at BTW. Oh and anyone know a good place to find 7/16-20 tubing adapters near Annapolis MD?

Chris