• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bicycle racks for 02s

osbourne

Planning a late autumn weekend tour with my wife, in our 02. She's recently re-discovered bicycling and wants to take our bikes along. Not wild about the idea, but, if Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY gonna be happy. So, are there any bicycle racks available out there, which would bolt onto the bumper mounting brackets? I refuse to use anything that hangs on with straps & clips on body panels.

Thanks.

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002

I have used the yakima to haul my kayak on a couple of my 02s but if you paint is really nice and it is a long haul the can wear right under the gutters I would suppose. I have always used it on short advebtures and not had any issues. The only rear mounts I know of require a receiver. Good luck sounds like fun

68 2002 #256

Yeah, I've ruled out anything that clips onto or rests on body panels, including gutters. The paint is showing it's age, but is still original........and it can only be original once.

Spmething employing a reciever is about what I've envisioned. I just don't want to get into fabricating anything, because I've got way too many other fabricating & welding projects awaiting my attention now.

Thanks.

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002

I own a Hollywood Rack like that one pictured, and I also have a gutter rack by Yakima. I HATE those trunk ones, as they mar nice paint, AND getting your bike on them is always sketchy with pedals and handlebars just waiting to scratch something.

I recommend you get to a shop and get a small receiver welded in the rear. Then you know its strong, and its always easily removed. Any metal shop will be able to make quick work of that, and you'll spend more money trying to customize something for your bumper that will be less invasive.

*shrug

Rich

1972 Chamonix 2002 - Daily

1977 International Scout II

Steel fabrication & welding are things that I can do quite qell, myself. However, I was hoping there was something already fabricated & available to bolt to the bumper mounts (NOT to the bumper itself). I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to design & fabricate my own set-up.........which amounts to yet another project competing for my time.

Oh well, with all these projects, my immortality is assured.

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002

Thanks, Gordon, but I don't want to deal with anything in that location, although I know it may be the most practical option for transporting bikes with my 02.

Those following this thread may be interested to learn that I recently (last weekend) got the car up on safety stands and took a good hard look at what my options for a rear-mounted bike rack are. In a nutshell, I'm afraid that dog won't hunt. There is simply no satisfactory way to mount a bike carrier to the rear bumper mounts without substantially beefing the mounts up, inside the trunk. My car is just too nice and original for me to contemplate all of that additional iron work. Therefore, I have completely abandoned the idea of transporting bicycles with my 02. I've got a VW Quantum Syncro wagon that will serve the purpose, and, although not quite as much fun to drive as an 02, it's still a pretty neat old car.

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002