• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Francisco Interesting Car Hire

WBeaumont

Hi,

I am off to San Francisco next Friday I am there for two weeks and I simply cannot wait. I have never been to the west coast of America and I am pretty sure I am going to have a great time.

While I was there I had hoped to hire/rent a car for a bit so I could get out of the city and see something. It might be for a couple of days and we might aim for Yosemite maybe.

Obviously as an 02 owner the thought of driving some automatic, modern, air conditioned car doesn't excite me too much and I just thought if any of you guys know of anywhere you might be able to rent something a little more interesting.

I don't expect to rent a muscle car or super car of some sort (maybe an Alfa or even an 02 instead) and I know as I am only 21 things are a little more expensive for me anyway no matter what the car is but if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations of any establishments I should check out I would love to know.

Also if anyone has any places they think I should visit while I am there or where I should drive to I would love to know.

Thanks in advance.

Will

• Administrators

You are kinda stuck. Being under 25 you will even be limited to the rental places. You will have to pay more and some will not even offer you a car. Almost everything you can get is less then 2 years old and is Automatic. You can try to get something more exotic. I think Enterprise and Hurtz can offer fun cars. I think I've seen a Lotus once :). But for anything else you will have to go with Exotic car rentals, and that will be expensive.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

One trick is to show up late at night to the rental place, you will get one the cars that no one wants to rent, ie, very expensive cars, stick shift or big vans. It is one way to get a free upgrade.

I rented from www.carrentals.com and got a Mazda Rx8 for the price of a compact.

FAQ Member # 91

While in the city, you should be able to get around fairly well on foot or transit. Muni trains and the cable cars can get you around pretty good. Let us know some of your interests (food, music, etc...) and we can make some suggestions.

As has been said, getting a rental will be tougher for you as you are under 25. I recently rented a Mazda 3 from Hertz. OK car, felt pretty good, good mileage.

A trip to Yosemite is always recommended. So, too, would be a trip to Tahoe. Scheduling a motorcoach trip to either of these sites could be an option for you. Besides, the driving in Yosemite park is not that grand- low speeds and plenty of traffic.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes