• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

junkyard police

williamtii

A few weeks ago myself and some buddy got some parts out of a pick and pull. Included were a nice set of bbs's that one of my paid $100 for.

The guy we dealt with ran the place but his partner owned the cars.(whatever thats supposed to mean.)

So weeks later i get an email (i was the initial contact for directions) saying that the car we got the wheels from wasnt supposed to be picked and that he wants them back.

I forwarded to the guy with the wheels who responded saying that the wheels are being refinished professionally and that tires and center caps are paid for and on the way. Since he has so much invested in the wheels they obviously wont be returned.

So now the junkyard guy emails us saying that hes filed a complaint with the state police and will take legal action if necessary.

So is this guy just crazy like I am assuming or does he have some ground to stand on?

Its a small junkyard so we didnt get a receipt; therefore no proof of purchase.

What do you guys think? And how could I be involved since I dont even have them?

Thanks - Will

First - I'm not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV.

That being said - His beef should be with the employee who sold them to you. He should be taking this in the shorts, not you and your friend. If you bought them in good faith then you have a pretty good claim to keep them.

If, however, the car turns up as stolen and the parts were sold before the police had a chance to check the s/n, the legal owner or his insurance company has a stronger claim than you do.

The real down side is that if he does proceed with legal action, your own legal costs will probably come to more than the cost of the wheels.

Always get a reciept from a legitimate business. It just looks better.

Good luck

Collin in Scottsdale

76 Chamonix

Two counts he does have you on:

Breaking and entering- for entering his business with their permission during their normal hours of operation.

Theft- A set of BBS's for $100? That is stealing.

You know they probably sold the parts, then later found out how much they are really worth.

Tell the guy that you would be happy to return the wheels, but it sure would be a shame if you were to injure yourself on his property performing the task.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

A few weeks ago myself and some buddy got some parts out of a pick and pull. Included were a nice set of bbs's that one of my paid $100 for.

The guy we dealt with ran the place but his partner owned the cars.(whatever thats supposed to mean.)

So weeks later i get an email (i was the initial contact for directions) saying that the car we got the wheels from wasnt supposed to be picked and that he wants them back.

I forwarded to the guy with the wheels who responded saying that the wheels are being refinished professionally and that tires and center caps are paid for and on the way. Since he has so much invested in the wheels they obviously wont be returned.

So now the junkyard guy emails us saying that hes filed a complaint with the state police and will take legal action if necessary.

So is this guy just crazy like I am assuming or does he have some ground to stand on?

Its a small junkyard so we didnt get a receipt; therefore no proof of purchase.

What do you guys think? And how could I be involved since I dont even have them?

Thanks - Will

sounds like they are in error for selling you the wheels from "a car that wasnt supposed to be picked." im betting the cops are telling them to go blow a horn. they screwed up, not you.

I think, at the very least, I'd be preparing an invoice for him on the refinish cost, parts, freight, handling fees and mark-up for the wheels. When he sees what the fair charges are to get his wheels back, he may feel differently.

I agree with this. The employee who sold them to you may have made a mistake, but that doesn't mean you are responsible for it. And if you've already sent them out, had work done on them, and bought other parts for them, I say offer him the wheels back for your $100 plus whatever it cost you to have the rest of the stuff done (although tires and centercaps, you might not worry about, since those can be used on other wheels). Definitely the refinishing cost however. He may still want them back, who knows. And if he does, you aren't really out any money, you just didn't get an amazing deal on a set of wheels (which kind of BBS were they anyway?)

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

If the car was stolen you would not be talking to him. You'd be talking to an autotheft detective. As to him threatening the police that is a crime. Go to the proper police entity and file a report. Tell the guy he can discuss it with the police. Block his email and dont lose any sleep. But yes BBS's for $100 is theft

• 3 weeks later...

So the guy basically sent you an email stating the wheels were sold in error? 'the car wasn't supposed to be picked'. Sounds like his problem not yours. Ask him for the police complaint number/case number and call the officer in charge explaining the situation etc.. I don't think the guy has a leg to stand on. However if the guy is selling stolen property he is more likely to be at fault than you were, you went to a 'legitimate' business and did not knowingly receive stolen goods.

Besides your friend bought the wheels he wants back, tell him to quit harrassing you. i.e. Like the lady said 'pound sand'....

I've found that if you google a business name there are a lot of 'independent' websites that will provide you with the opportunity to leave feedback about your experience with local establishments.

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.