• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody know about old Hobart welders?

robspeed

Jaime has a "Hobart Handler" (no number desingation after the "Handler" on the label) which wont feed the wire. He bought it at an auction as a non-op for $100, and I'd like to get it working (obviously). Its a MIG, btw.

There is no voltage to the feed motor. I've tried to find a manual for it online but can't find anything. Its probably at least 10-15 years old based on the style of components in it. I've got it partially disassembled and the plan is to just take it apart, re-do all the connections, and try again. (I've tested the feed-speed rheostat, the power resistor, bridge rectifier (which im using to date the welder), and all that is coming up OK.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated! There is a TON of welding that can be done around this place! :)

The way I attack unknown medical equipment that I am expected to repair is to:

1- Shout out to my peers. (you've done that)

2- Call the OEM and see if they still have any old-timers working there that might know anything about your old welder. (Note: When I get a company that is hesitant in giving info, I am always sure to let them know I am looking at purchasing from their competitor. In this case, I'd just say, "Oh. Ok, thanks. I guess I'll switch to Lincoln." Works sometimes.)

3- Open up the damn machine and look for obvious things. (sounds like you are all ready to do that.

Good luck!

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I'm going to investigate the switch but it seems to work, firing the giant relay that runs the weld transformer. I think the same transformer steps down the voltage for the feed motor but am not sure about that.

Current (HEH! =p) plan is to just continue disassembly, clean up all the connections and then reassemble with dielectric greeeze... There is a fair amount of rust/corrosion on the connections so maybe its that simple..

The internet is swell! ;-)

... Jaime, nice avatar! ;-)

Cheers,

Ray

These guys taught me how to weld and have even helped me repair an old miller a while back.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php

Hey Ray that link says it a lot better then my previous post....

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.