• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 2002 Driving again today after 10 months in the making

nicktahoe

I got my '72 2002 on the road this past weekend. It's been about 10 months in the making and it was all worth it. You name it and it's been upgraded on the suspension: Front/Rear components powder coated, Bilstein HD's, Eibach Sports, Custom Wilwood Front Brake upgrade which I designed (I have an extra set of CNC machined 7075 Alum Brake Caliper adapters w/ Mil Spec helicoil inserts if anybody is interested), ball joints, tie rods, IE Front/Rear Sway Bars, all new urethane bushings, CV joints, rebuild diff, all new hardware, wheel bearings, 15" Rota RB's, NOS master cylinder, all custom SS brake lines, and must more to list. Upgraded the interior for now before the car goes to paint in a couple month's. Put in some new carpet, E21 Sport Recaro's, Nardi wheel, Sparco Harnesses w/ custom CNC machined brackets. I will keep the forum updated as the progress continues.

bmw.doc

bmw.doc

'71 2002 Riveria

Beautiful work.

How do the brakes work? It looks like you connect two brake circuits into one at the banjo fitting. I wonder if it can cause some kind of problem? Don't know, maybe it's fine...

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Engine Swap Day!! Just completed the much anticipated engine swap for my 02. This engine has it all. 10.5 to 1 compression pistons, E12 ported head, 296 Cam, 38/38 DGAS with the cannon intake manifold, oil pan baffle, Top Speed Exhaust SS Exhaust Header w/ IE SS Downpipe, IE Alum Radiator w/ IE Silicone hoses, Bosch Blue Coil w/ Plat Spark Plugs and much more. I also boxed in the front subframe while it was out. Take a look at some of the pics. It started right up this afternoon but she's making a trip to North Bay Bavarian for some real fine tuning on Monday. It sounds like a big block and is looking super strong :) Can't wait to get it back for a drive next weekend. Enjoy the pics.

post-2130-13667616505904_thumb.jpg

post-2130-13667616507522_thumb.jpg

post-2130-13667616509184_thumb.jpg

post-2130-13667616510798_thumb.jpg

post-2130-13667616512348_thumb.jpg

'71 2002 Riveria

• 3 months later...

It's time for a dual 40DCOE set-up! The ride is currently under construction with a new dual 40DCOE set-up with some ignition goodies as well. After driving this fantastic engine around with a 38/38, I felt the need for a little more go power. Check out the pics and enjoy. The one thing I can see me figuring out will be the jetting. If anybody has any recommendations on carb goodies for my set-up, please let me know. I kinda detailed what this engine has on it in an earlier post. I am also adding a MSD-6A, electronic ignition pick-up, and a Boach Red coil. Cheers.

post-2130-13667623258167_thumb.jpg

post-2130-13667623260328_thumb.jpg

post-2130-13667623262589_thumb.jpg

'71 2002 Riveria

Congrats on all your hard work! I was just going to reply with your Bosch "Blue" coil with external resistor combo, but am glad you are now going with a different (Red) coil. The "Blue" one has an internal resistor. I made this mistake when I first bought my car.

Looking forward to hearing (really) how the 40 DCOE's do on your engine versus the previous carb.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”