• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windy City Vintage Fest Pics

penth2o

Gotta say it was very nice to meet all of you that I met this weekend and good to see the folks I met last year. You Guys/Gals are a great bunch of people and I look forward to seeing you again in future fests & elsewhere.

Again it was nice to BS with you at Ben’s museum Friday nite & join you for dinner Sat. nite. Thank you Ben for putting it on & all you have done for me.

Here are a few pics of the Windy City Fest.

I apologize for the abortion that Photobucket makes of the order when uploading.

I dump everything on Photobucket to use as a dumping grounds, then final albums go to Flicker.

Not too many as my memory chip puked on me so I went to Wal-Mart & they sold me the wrong 8GB chip. Pretty much got boned on the photo’s.

Might have to pick through a few VW pics as I hit a VW show Sunday.

Best thing to do is click on the slideshow button over to the right top to view pics.

Thanks again Folks.

Joel.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x265/penth2o123/09%20Windy%20City%20Fest/?albumview=slideshow

Hi Martin & KeeWeebs,

I know you never will but iiiiff you do keep me in mind. (touring for sale)

Keep me up on your $500 project.

I don't know how you do that city shit every day.

Now I know why all the shootings in the city. I'm sure if I would have had my Glock with me I would have emptied a few clips just on the freeway. :}

Great to meet you Joel & also Martin. That was quite a coincedence to see you (Joel) on the crowded freeway heading east into Indiana. We briefly had two '02's going 80+ MPH together before the inevitable traffic jam. I wish I had not gotten there so late, but what a warm welcome when I did pull into ZF. After the Windy City Fest, a number of us went over to The Werk Shop to drop off Ben's '71 Nevada 1600-2 for svc. We got the grand tour of the svc side and the resto. side of their operations. What a place!!! Saw my very first (partially restored) 503 there. There was an NK Tisa racer, a 3.0 CSL, various '02's, countless parts, wheels, engines throughout the place. Oh, they also had a RUSTY Bavaria touring outside. The factory never built such a car, but some English guy built some on his own. They were taking two such tourings to build one very nice restored one. That will be interesting to say the least. Chicagoland traffic? --- craziness. I won't complain about our relatively minor traffic disasters in Ohio anymore. Maybe I should fly in or take the bus to the next Windy City??

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Real nice to meet you and your son also Jim.

That quick pass on the right and a hard three lane crossover to the left saved my rear. I got through with no slowdown on the far left. I seen the lanes piling up to a halt on the right. I was wondering if you got caught up in it.

It was pretty much clear the whole way back. Must have been the time.

Next time I think I will take the car ferry across the big lake and drive down from the north. Dave says there isn't the traffic that way.

I was going to extend my trip to go north up through WI & the U.P. and then come down through northern MI but had to cut my trip short to get back home.

Real good time this weekend and look forward to more.

Joel,

Thanks for the great pics. I forgot to charge the camera battery so really appreciate your fine photography, you got it all.

Claire, Adam and I enjoyed meeting you and your sweet ride. Aside from the traffic and tolls, Chicago is a nice town and we really enjoyed "house hunting" thru the neighborhoods with Skip.

Mike

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

What's the piece-of-shit K&N filter doing on it?

... Not that I have an opinion!

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Nice pics!

Whose red '72 tii with no plates?

I recognize the black Canadian tii!

Cheers,

Ray

that was a werkshop car 80% done. really nice

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I had a fantastic time myself...As did Greg!

Nice meeting you Joel...Enjoyed losing the drag race to you!

As usual it was really nice to see all you IL / MN / WI /OH (and other)2002'ers.

Thanks Martin, Kent, Dave, BenT, and everybody involved for a great time, a great event, and great hospitality.

As for our trip home, Greg & I did what I inevitably always do if I'm not in a caravan, taking the "road less traveled". We left Chicagoland on I-80 and headed West to IL34 and crossed the Mississippi at Burlington, IA. We drove US61 S. through Fort Madison (neat little town) and down into MO where we connected with MO19...One of my favorite Missouri hwys. We drove due South, through Hermann, all the way through the Ozarks into Arkansas and never saw another interstate until we crossed I-40 about 300 miles later and 30 miles from home. Hell of a drive! 810 miles and 16.5 hours. We left Chicago at 7:10 a.m. and arrived home at 11:40 p.m.

I'll post some photos when I come out of my coma.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Hi Skip,

Tell Greg I said hi. You didn't lose. We were just showing those Chicagoans how not to bottleneck their roads.

Read Mikes post above about you guys house hunting the burbs. I don't think Chicago is ready for you just yet. :}

Smart move taking the back roads home. Thats what I had planned. I was suppose to take another 500 mile roundabout out of the way but was called home.

Ray, I was wondering the same thing on the K&N. I'm sure it's temporary. This guys spending too much on originality to junk it out like that.

I did manage to hit that VW show if anyone is interested. Had to cut it short before it really filled up but got some good parts & met with an online friend who brought me some parts up to the show.

These 02's are wide. I fit a 61 Ghia windshield in my back seat along with a zillion other parts. Last years Windy fest I had a 63 Ghia hood in the 02's trunk.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x265/penth2o123/09%20VW%20%20Windy%20City%20Fest/?albumview=slideshow

Checking on that fest in Mineral point WI. Trying to get my last fix before the snow flys here, which won't be long. Would like to hit GA but I don't think it can happen.