• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do in Dusseldorf

Grover

I'm headed to Dusseldorf for work in a couple of weeks, and I'll have a day or two of "free" time. Any recommendations on things to do? Both the BMW and Porsche museums look too far away, but I'm tempted to make a trip to the Nurburgring as it looks to be about 1 1/2 hours away. I'm on the wait list for the 'ring taxi, but thus far no luck. Would love to hear recommendations from those of you that know the area.

I had a very fun day down in Koln, at the Schokoladenmuseum (Lindt chocolate) and walking up the five hundred and nine steps in the cathedral (only to have my camera die at the top! Bring spare batteries, they're very expensive in the train station...)

some pictures:

3249934776_f55bc01f4b.jpg

3249108033_bffc8645bd.jpg

3249947930_bae0a43abc.jpg

3249132407_724f6c82b7.jpg

Yes, that is a chocolate fountain.

The cathedral was also very impressive inside, really weather you're into that kind of thing or not. It took 600 years to build, and is never really done, as it is constantly being refinished and repaired. Koln also has a huge shopping district (if you're taking someone with you that enjoys that sort of thing, "Hohe Strasse"

I never made it to Dusseldorf, although some of my hosts grew up there or went to school there. Just make sure to try all the local beers, order whatever is on tap!

Here are my pictures from Germany: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hammer03/collections/72157613268515907/

Can't wait to go back! Don't be afraid to get out and try stuff. I spent too much time in the hotels.

As awesome as Koln was though, Munich was much more fun for me. With the trains, it isnt as far away as you may think, a day trip would not be difficult to do, or that expensive. Even better to make a weekend out of it.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD