• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any cool alternatives to the seatbelt light on the dash?

josh72ooh2

Has anybody replaced that seat-belt light on the dash with something else? I will eventually be replacing the cracked dash on a '71 (which i think didn't originally have that seatbelt light) with a good condition dash from a '75.

I don't want a hole on the dash and i am curious as to if that space can be used for anything else.

A hula girl comes to mind but it is too close to the windshield... ha ha.

-Josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

How about an ipod or iphone dock ?

What do you think ?

Max

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

Not a bad call, but landscape only. Too tall otherwise.

I like the miniature gauge pod that I saw on a car at V@V. They were at most 1". water temp, oil press., and volt. He said he was going to remove it, I offered to buy it, he said catch me later, he left before I could talk. Bummer.

Other things guys have done are digital clocks from the parts yard, O2 sensor displays.. etc.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Find a Euro spec 02 dash with no fasten seat belt billboard on it. I have a one piece crack free Euro spec dash in my 74 tii that I scored at Veterama in Ludwigshafen in 2004. It only cost me 120 Euro's and mailed it back to myself and had coupe king install it.

http://www.veterama.de/ Take a road trip to Germany. The next Veterama is 10 & 11 OCT in Mannheim. Oktoberfest started last Sat and the Stuttgart beer festival starts 9/25 so now you've got a good excuse for a road trip.

The other alternative is to remove the fasten seat billboard or find a very early two or three piece 02 dash.

I scored another one piece Euro spec 02 dash last year at an 02 show is NE Bavaria for 50 Euros and mailed that one back. I traded that one to Carl Nelson for some 02 Euro bumpers. The diving board bumpers on my 74 tii have got to go.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

use the hole to run wires to full size guage pod with 2 or 3 guages. right exactly where you want them to be in line of site. this is what i am going to do this winter. my car came with guages in the center console which is a useless location since they can't be seen while driving without moving your arm and looking down.

2xM3

Given the time, I'd like to set up one of those LED scrolling signs.

That way you could program in different sayings.

Have the original "Fasten Seatbelts" so it looks stock, but every now and then have one that would flash up saying "HOLD ON!" or "WHO FAHRTED?".

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Have the original "Fasten Seatbelts" so it looks stock, but every now and then have one that would flash up saying "HOLD ON!" or "WHO FAHRTED?".

So far, this by far the most hilarious and creative response! LOL!!!!

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

So far, this by far the most hilarious and creative response! LOL!!!!

yes!!! we have a winner! :-)

2xM3

...put a mercury switch in the line so that when you hit a turn it flashes HOLD ON! or OH SHIT! THAT WOULD B GENIUS.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

...put a mercury switch in the line so that when you hit a turn it flashes HOLD ON! or OH SHIT! THAT WOULD B GENIUS.

SHIFT IDIOT!

:D

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I took a square piece of sheet metal, covered it with a piece of black vinyl and screwed it on with 2 black head screws. Looks stealth.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

This was where I located the display unit for the HUD display I removed from a 2004 Pontiac Gran Prix.

Unfortunately, after I hooked it up all it was able to display was "Abrochar sus cinterones".

I later found out it came out of a car assembled in Mexico, who knew?

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin