• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed.

jmr_1602

The members of this board always have great advice, so I always come here first when something goes wrong. Ha. I wish i didnt have to tho'. I tried searching for solutions, but I really had no clue of what key words I should be using.

The car is a 71 1602 with an E21 (76) motor. Anyhow heres my problem.

Heading home last night on the freeway I noticed that my engine sounded louder than usual all of a sudden. I immediately pulled to the shoulder, and I swear it sounded like an old very loud lawn mower...puttering and what not. I popped the hood, and noticed that the engine was shaking semi-violently. Looked around for any leaks of any kind - none. Everything seemed to be in place. I let the engine idle for awhile, and it cuts off about two minutes later.

Any ideas? Im not mechanically inclined at all, but if I can get a rough idea of what to start looking at, I can start looking for needed parts. Thanks in advance!

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Did your temp gauge go through the roof?! Sounds like a catastrophic melt down!!

At first I thought rusted through exhaust, but the violent shake and shut down lead me to think that your crank or rod bearings failed and locked up the motor.. eeeeek!

Sorry dood.

More info would help. disconnect the coil and see if it turns over when you turn the key.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

It may not be as serious as you think. The rule I've learned in working on Porsches and Bmws for nearly 50 yrs. is: CHECK THE SIMPLE THINGS FIRST. It sounds like you developed a severe miss in the engine. I'd begin by popping the distributor cap off and looking for cracks and overall condition of the inside of the cap. Then look at the rotor and make sure it looks good and is not broken. Check the condition of the points. If that area looks good, then check the plug connectors - not cracked and tight on each plug. Then, as mentioned above, pull the coil wire and turn the engine over and see what it sounds like. Then report back to us and we'll have a better idea as to what to recommend.

Bob Napier

Could be even easier than that. If it won't turn over at al and there are no dash lights with the ignition on, it is possible that the charging system went south and you simply ran out of battery.

Time to take the volt meter out and do a simple voltage check across the battery and take it from there.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Thanks for the advice so far.

A few more details. The temp gauge stays in the normal range, and I was able to drive it still. No leaks anywhere, and no fumes or gasses are seen or smelled. I just had it towed anyways, cause I didnt want to damage anything further.

Prior to this happening, its been very reliable. Hadn't noticed any changes in driving characteristics prior to last nights event. It had always started right up, and still does. Only thing, like I said, its very loud (like air is escaping somewhere, a loud puttering noise) and it shakes "semi-violently"...maybe I should say it rocks in the engine bay a lot more than normal.

Anyhow, Ill start looking into all your recommendations over the weekend. This forum really is the most important tool in my 02 box.

Edit* All the electrical is still working. Lights gauges, stereo, etc... My "Battery Charge" light on my instrument panel has been on for about a month, but my BMW repair shop said that it's charging when I had the car looked at a couple weeks ago.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

MORE K . I . S . S . :

WHAT'S ON THE dip stick ?

what's on the underside of the oil filler cap ?

what's it look like inside the oil filler hole ?

what does it look like in the radiator ?

coolent level really low? or not visable ??

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I'm gonna go with a major vacuum leak. Based on description. My car, with just a small leak where a nipple on the first cyl. intake runner had lost its block off, ran very rough. I couldn't hear it, but it had a huge effect. Once it was capped, the motor went back to smooth idling.

Look for a loose hose and/or leak off of the intake manifold..

If not, I second the toasted alternator/dead battery suggestion.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Yeah, plug wires...

or hell, the block- off on the exhaust manifold that's

supposed to plug the air injection inlet.

Or maybe even a loose exhaust manifold...

causing a burnt plug wire...

Probably NOT catastrophic... prolly...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL