• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Chrome Bumper RetroFit Angle

200Duece

Hi all,

First, thank you to all the others here that have been contributing. This site has answered questions for me countless times. In that spirit I wanted to add another angle to the Chrome Bumper Retrofit saga.

Here's a couple of ways to do the swap and cover the holes in your drive way with out the help of a welder or body shop...

After removing the DOT 5mph bumpers and cleaning the the car I cut off the extra rubber around the holes where the bumper shocks ho into the body making it as flush as possible. Use a utility knife. I then cleaned the surrounding rubber with acetone and simple green. From HomeDepot I picked up a piece of aluminum sheetmetal, 6"x18". Using tin snips I cut small rectangles to cover each of the three holes. Trim and shape to fit the left,right, and center holes and mark them so you know which is which. Now with construction strength exterior silicon adhesive glue the rectangles on the car.

While the glue is setting up I filled all of the bumper cover holes with 5/16 rivets and a hand rivet gun. You can later paint the rivets with touch up paint to help them blend in. But atleast you dont have holes everywhere and rivets are always kinda cool.

Back to the rectangles, hit them with some self etching primer, maybe two lite coats and once that dries then a coat or two of a spray paint of your choice that closely matches your paint color.

the last problem area are the two larger holes that are left on either side if the rear quarter panels that used to hold the accordian pieces onto the car. For these I went and sourced out some plastic body plugs from my local Napa. I sprayed these with some enamal white to help them blend in with the white exterior.

The Chrome Bumper, once installed will cover most of the work you have done but now you don't have to worry about water getting int he trunk. And from 5 feet you can't tell ;)

(I pretty much picked everything up from HomeDepot and Napa)

• 2 weeks later...