• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GARAGE with humidity, what to do ?

PatAllen

My outside garage gets very humid during the winter, and i would like to know if anybody attempted anything for such situation.

Basicaly i would like to store my automatic rebuild in it, not my turbo one.

it is not heated and couldnt be, there is no isolation and i couldnt afford any heating anyway. There is one small window on it, facing the sun most of the time.

What can i do to reduce humidity ?

Does painting the floor concrete could help?

install small fan so there is a litle air draft all the time ?

i cannot install a desumidifier either, it will freeze quite fast.

any experiences and stories are welcome !!

thanks.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

When I lived in Michigan, I faced the same problem.

One of my friends said to use several 100 watt lightbulbs and place them under the car...all well and good, but since i didn't need the lights on I felt there was something going to waste.

A better solution was to purchase a roof heating cable -- the kind that you attach to the eaves of your house to prevent ice dams.

Like this one:

Easy Heat ADKS-500 100-Foot Roof De-Icing Cable

All you do is snake the cable in a zig-zg pattern right on the concrete floor under your car. This will stabilize the floor temps and keep the ground moisture from rising into your garage.

When the weather is extremely cold (and the humidity low) you can leave it off. But when the temps rise into the forties during the day and sink into the 'teens at night and the humidity rises, you'll want to keep it turned on.

On an '02, those clam-shaped bonnet and bootlids can trap moisture underneath the edges, encouraging rust. Be mindful to open the windows a crack and either remove the trunk seal or leave the trunk propped open a bit. Also it helps to keep the hood open a bit, too.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...