• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving lights

adamm

I've been doing a bit of reading in the archives but couldn't find really the answers I was looking for and I'm a novice on this topic...

I do a lot of country lane driving at night and find that my standard lights aren't quite up to scratch, so what would people recommend?

I'm not clear on the difference between 'driving' lights or 'spots'? Are driving lights used in conjunction with the dipped beams on and the spots used with full beams?

Do people find it better to have the additional lighting all the time or just in 'full beam situations' ie with no oncoming traffic?

Also, I'm assuming that the auxiliary lights are controlled with just the existing switches?

Finally, Cibie, or Hella or no difference?

Cheers!

'73 tii arancio borealis - finished?!

'74 lux fjord - gone :(

'73 3.0csi polaris

Also, instead of adding lights, you could simply upgrade the existing lights to h4s.I don't know what parts your guys' 02s use, but I am sure that someone will chime in soon.

Another way to brighter lights is to put in a larger alternator.

Finally, another way is to shorten the amount of wire that the power must go through to get to the lights. This means adding a relay much closer to the headlights so that the power need not travel as far. A 10% reduction in voltage results in a 30% reduction in the amount of light that a bulb produces.

HTH,

Jay Swift

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

Hi Jay, I should have added that my lights are already relay'd H4s so I think I've gone as far as I can with the stock light set up!

Cheers

adam

'73 3.0csi polaris

.....well then if you already have H4 lights -

then your problem is improper light alignment

They are excellent lights - no need to add any more,

but if you must - the "SPOT", "DRIVING" aux light is on with Hi Beam,

and "FOG" , "CORNERING" lights are on with Low Beam

LUCASLIGHTSAD61967.jpg

BODYELECT02VS3-SERIES3.jpg

do this on level ground

021600HEADLIGHTAIM1967.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Driving lights spread a nice, wide, trapezoidal field of light across the road. Spot lights send a focused, narrow beam stright forward. You want driving lights.

I have a set of Hella 500 driving lights on my bumper. They rock. In combination with my Marchall SEV H4 headlights, I can see deer for miles.

The kit comes with all the wiring that you need. I (and the instructions) recommend that you wire them to come on with your high-beams when switched on. You'll wonder how you ever drove at night without them.

EDIT: Also, you'll want to consider an alternator upgrade. The extra amps will keep the lights from dimming at low rpm.

o149418937.jpg

*The lower, rectangular lights are Bosch fog lights. They project a low, flat and wide beam that I have yet encounter a fog within which to use them.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Actually, the problem is the original EURO headlight. Crap gets in (especially with the UK weather) and the reflectors deteriorate at an alarmingly quick rate. Once the reflectors go bad, the lights are not much better than glow-worms. New reflectors are the answer, and to ensure the dog bowls are fitted and sealed as best as they can be.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Actually, the problem is the original EURO headlight. Crap gets in (especially with the UK weather) and the reflectors deteriorate at an alarmingly quick rate. Once the reflectors go bad, the lights are not much better than glow-worms. New reflectors are the answer, and to ensure the dog bowls are fitted and sealed as best as they can be.

I think the problem is I'm spoilt by my girlfriend's E46 - after driving that at night the 02 is positively terrifying!

I have them adjusted properly and I have new reflectors (man did I need them!) which means I either need to stop driving the E46 so I have nothing to compare to, eat more carrots or drive the 02 a bit slower at night - but who wants to do that?!

Thanks for all your input :D

'73 3.0csi polaris

If you are considering the Hella 500s... you should also consider the 160's which are similar, but chrome backed.

I had to make the same decision as you and, ultimately, I chose the fogs... and they make a huge difference (in terms of light provided) and they can be used all the time with your low beams( because they are diffused light and direct more downward). Its your personal preference... but you can probably discuss it more with Dave at Susquehanna Motorsports. Here is a link to the Hella 160's and a pic of my fog lights(http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=222). Note: the 160's can be fitted with either driving lights or fog lights. Good luck.

-Marc

IMG_1478.jpg

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst