• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving lights

adamm

Are the lamps for the Hella 500s the same as the 160s? INterchangeable? No need for an alternator upgrade for driving lights right? tx.

My stock alternator runs my fog lights and A/C (at the same time) just fine. As to whether or not the 500s and 160s have interchangeable lamps - I would ask Dave at Susquehanna Motorsports www.rallylights.com.

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

Are the lamps for the Hella 500s the same as the 160s? INterchangeable? No need for an alternator upgrade for driving lights right? tx.

My stock alternator runs my fog lights and A/C (at the same time) just fine. As to whether or not the 500s and 160s have interchangeable lamps - I would ask Dave at Susquehanna Motorsports www.rallylights.com.

Thx mcaden - (first 02 was Agave, so have a soft spot for that color). Did you have that chrome lamp mounting bar custom made?

Hooked on 2002 since my first one bought new in 1972

Thx mcaden - (first 02 was Agave, so have a soft spot for that color). Did you have that chrome lamp mounting bar custom made?

I have an upgraded alternator and the lights don't dim at all. It's not that tough or expensive to do and it's really nice to not have to worry about adding anything in the future. I would suggest the upgrade for anyone's project, unless you really have a thing for original parts (like sticking with points).

Additionally, I upgraded the bulbs in my Hella 500s from 55W to 100W, which brought the lumens from 1450 to 2200. I think the bulbs were $5-6 each, so you really get a lot of bang for your buck!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Clay - you worry about frying wires/switches with 100W bulbs?

Nope.

Amps X Volts = Watts

Amps = Watts/Volts

Amps = 100W/12V

Amps = 8.333333333

8.333333 Amps X 2 lights = 16.666666 Amps

The relay is good for 30 Amps and I have it fused for 20, just in case. If you wanted a little extra insurance, you could individually relay and fuse each light, but that's probably overkill. Mine haven't had any problems and they light up the night like the sun.

The Hellas come with the relay and fuses in a nice wiring harness with an easy-to-follow diagram. Good luck!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

The lamp bar is made by Jaymic in England and is also depicted in the Macartney restoration book. See http://www.jaymic.com/

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst