• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you like me now Delia? (and other e30 jamokes)

Harv

Uh-oh...

..another "convert."

...don't forget the Walker exhaust, computer chip, and single-mass flywheel...

How long do you suppose it will take before the '02 project gets pushed into the back of the garage and covered up with blankets, towels and stacks of newspapers waiting to be recycled...

Oh, the humanity!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Got my smile lights and euro grills on.

John

DSC_0077-1.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

is there a point to smileys other than the looks? i like my H4 hella e-codes (non-elipsoid) because they also go to highbeam with the center highbeams, adding light reach. also how are euro grilles different?

-Rob

The Euro grilles are not legal here in the US. Seems the Feds felt they "restricted the light pattern" and needed to have a gap in the uppermost slat directly above the archaic sealed beam headlamps.

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

D beet me to it.

No, the o2 will not be pushed back. I was gathering all my aluminum engine stuff the other day to deal with it before I finish putting the motor together.

What was that? Walker exhaust? I haven't heard of that one. Been trying to figure out how to afford the Supersprint. Already have my Mark-D chip in and running. Billy sports and new stuff is on the way. I have a friend that is trying to find the springs he took out of his M3 for me.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Got my smile lights and euro grills on.

John

DSC_0077-1.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

is there a point to smileys other than the looks? i like my H4 hella e-codes (non-elipsoid) because they also go to highbeam with the center highbeams, adding light reach. also how are euro grilles different?

-Rob

the smilies have a superior cuttoff and beam pattern than hella h4's

especially with silverstar's or equivilants

great lights

72 2002tii

1988 535is 

the smilies have a superior cuttoff and beam pattern than hella h4's

especially with silverstar's or equivilants

great lights

are smiley elipsoids any different than normal elipsoids, in terms of light pattern? they dont look like "smiles" to me, they look like that black makeup football players put under their eyes to cut down on glare.

i have silverstars in my E-code hellas, and love them. especially when they go to highbeam with the center lights. elipsoids cant do that.

The only time I've driven an E30 at night was with this setup, and it was the wrong one!

3981657765_a97e6c6c54_b.jpg

Notice the Harbor Freight tractor lights aimed to highlight the next apex, but it sure didn't go very far when you were goin 100+mph on a dark un-lit track.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I guess the idea behind the smiley lights is that they are supposed to focus the light in front of the car better. Don't know if this is true. I have 100W yelowstars in the lows and 100W in the high's. Did the relay bridge so the lows stay on with the highs. This also keeps the fogs on as well.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

You may want to change the timing belt if it's a m20 motor. I bought a car last year with the timing belt within the specified mileage range but it only had 5,000 miles per year and the belt had aged to the point of breakage. That's not a real fun repair job. The job of changing a servicable belt is cheap compared to changing out a broken head.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

I guess the idea behind the smiley lights is that they are supposed to focus the light in front of the car better. Don't know if this is true. I have 100W yelowstars in the lows and 100W in the high's. Did the relay bridge so the lows stay on with the highs. This also keeps the fogs on as well.

John

the problem with just bridging the lows with the highs, especially when you have really bright lows, is that the area right in front of the car stays bright when you are trying to see way far out (aka when you switch to highbeams). It creates the illusion that you have more light, when in fact you are ruining the long-distance vision that you really need to see stuff coming at you at high speed (or as you come at it at high speed).

The H4 non-elip E-codes on my car go to actual high beam, throwing their *additional* 120w of (silverstar-enhanced) light way out in front where I want it, not just (still) lighting up right in front of the car where it is not only useless, but in fact debilitating. So I have 2x the light where I actually want it, and none (or very little) where I don't.

When night driving, or driving on twisty roads with blind curves, I always count from the time I can see something until the time I pass it, and if its not at least a second out for every 10mph I'm driving, I slow down.

After the silverstars die, ima switch to Osram Nightbreakers... ;)