• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Das Schwein

Mike_B

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

In my search for a vintage Scheel bucket, I came across this seat located in Europe. It need some work on the cover, but the foam is in terrific shape. I have found a source for replica fabric that matches the stripes and I am told that Jaymic has replica cord. I think it will look pretty sweet paired with one of my adjustable Scheels covered in the same replica fabric, or maybe I can find another bucket and arrange a 2 for 1 trade.

The car is a long way off from interior, but it isn't too soon to start collecting cool pieces.

post-8113-13667621209441_thumb.jpg

post-8113-1366762121191_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Wow! I can't believe it's acutally been a year since I updated the blog. I had some foundation issues at the house that put this project on hold for a while, but things are now full steam ahead.

SCR should be starting the fabrication of the pig cheek flares soon and are currenly working on adapting an E30 subframe/diff/trailing arms to the chassis to handle the power of the M10 turbo that is currently being assembled in the garage. I'm also going with a Ford Motorsport T-5z transmission with a Getrag 265 non-sensor bellhousing. The guys at SCR did some quick measurements and it should fit quite nicely.

I picked up some 92mm turbo pistons (Thanks Kurt!) to go with my S14 crank, stock rods, E12 head, 292 Schrick, Ben Thongsai worked head, ARP studs, MLS head gasket and a 320i intake adapted for EFI. It should be the start of a nice little turbo M10. I need to get the block off to the machine shop to get it bored out and the rotating assembly balanced.

Otis was good enough to put together a manifold for me and it should be shipped out next week.

Turbo%20Manifold%20-%20Otis.JPG

The turbo is a Garrett 60-1, cold side ar70, hot side ar63. includes internal wastegate set to 15psi.

000_0622.jpg

I'm still trying to finalize my engine management, but I'm leaning towards Autronic or ViPEC.

I would be very, very, VERY cautious boring the block to 92mm. I considered doing this on my turbo build but decided against going that route due to the walls being incredibly thin at that bore. I have heard of and seen pictures of a few blocks blowing straight through the cylinder walls. In some blocks there is a casting shift that causes some of the walls to be thinner on one side than the other but if you have a company that can x-ray the block and ensure they are not going to cut into a jacket than go for it, other than that be careful.

Enough about the warning... I am wondering what you are doing for injectors and a fuel supply, pump, filter and those bits. This is one aspect that is still throwing me for a loop. Im running 12psi on basically the same build as yours.

Added to the watch list for updates,

V/R,

Chris

Glad to see Nate's turbo going to good use. I never rode in his car while it was together but I was told by others it was "scary fast". It also pushes him that much further towards super charging his S52(in an E30).

Have any more body pics? I'd love to see them. That turbo mani looks really nice too!

I would be very, very, VERY cautious boring the block to 92mm. I considered doing this on my turbo build but decided against going that route due to the walls being incredibly thin at that bore. I have heard of and seen pictures of a few blocks blowing straight through the cylinder walls. In some blocks there is a casting shift that causes some of the walls to be thinner on one side than the other but if you have a company that can x-ray the block and ensure they are not going to cut into a jacket than go for it, other than that be careful.

Enough about the warning... I am wondering what you are doing for injectors and a fuel supply, pump, filter and those bits. This is one aspect that is still throwing me for a loop. Im running 12psi on basically the same build as yours.

Added to the watch list for updates,

V/R,

Chris

I'm comfortable with 92mm if the machine shop give me the "ok". Kurt Politowitz ran a block bored to 92mm for years with no issue. I expect it to be fine.

For fueling, I'm running a low pressure E30 318i in-tank pump to a 1L surge tank to a Bosch 044 high pressure pump. I'll plumb the filter somewhere before it gets to the fuel rail. I haven't spec'd the injector size yet, but that shouldn't be too tough.

Glad to see Nate's turbo going to good use. I never rode in his car while it was together but I was told by others it was "scary fast". It also pushes him that much further towards super charging his S52(in an E30).

Have any more body pics? I'd love to see them. That turbo mani looks really nice too!

I have some old photos of the strip down and the re-inforced rocker work, but I'll have to hit up Matt and Nate for some photos when they start the flare work.

• 3 months later...

Updates coming... Matt, Nate and the gang at SCR had a couple cars ahead of mine in the rotation (including a sweet SC/RS Rothman's replica and an M2), so they should be starting the flare work soon.

I just picked up my refinished head from Ben Thongsai and I'm still waiting on the block work to be completed. Once that's back from the machine shop I can start assembling the engine.

• 1 year later...

It's been well over a year since the last update and this is thankfully the project that wouldn't die... I had all but given up finishing the car, sold off most of the accumulated goodies, and was fully prepaired to sell the shell. I suppose it was shear luck, most likely the price, that I couldn't find anyone interested in a shell with a ton of prep ready for flares. The guys at SCR were very accommodating and found a nice dry, dark corner of the shop for the shell to rest hoping that someday it would become a real car again. Not there yet, but getting closer...

Chassis re-inforcements complete up front

DSC03015.JPG

E30 subframe, trailing arms and diff (E36 cover) getting fitted

DSC03146.JPG

Starting the fabrication of the rear flares

DSC03157.JPG

DSC03160.JPG

DSC03179.JPG

DSC03180.JPG

The final flare fitment wont be complete until my wheel / tire combo arrives. I ordered up a set of wheels from Group 4 Wheels. I got the PAG-15 in 15x8 - Satin grey. Here is a rendering of the wheels in gold, but you get the general idea.

wheels_PAG_1580_640_gold_sat.jpg

I swear this won't be the last update... :-)