• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Knock off Euro turnsignals

72Golf

My recent question posted in the "for sale" section prompted a few responses regarding the existence of knock off Euros being sold on fleabay. Don't know anything other than they exist.

Here's an auction that just ended yesterday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/European-Turn-Signal-Lights-for-a-69-76-BMW-2002_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem27abec28c9QQitemZ170388105417QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

dude, i read that post. vindication is yours. i'd like to know about fitment- but gosh, $230 for fakes is a little much imho. thanks for the heads up!

1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzura (Fiat 124): sold

1992 300ZX Twin Turbo: sunny days

2001 Toyota 4runner: sold

1974 BMW 2002 automatic: daily

1991 BMW 325iC: sold

1986 BMW 528e: daily

Guest Anonymous
My recent question posted in the "for sale" section prompted a few responses regarding the existence of knock off Euros being sold on fleabay. Don't know anything other than they exist.

Here's an auction that just ended yesterday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/European-Turn-Signal-Lights-for-a-69-76-BMW-2002_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem27abec28c9QQitemZ170388105417QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

You use the term knock-off to describe a cheap imitation of another item. I read the ad, and it did not describe the product as a knock-off. It said they were made in Germany but not from BMW. I have a pair of signals with Hella stampings that I acquired in the 1980's from a dealer in Koln. Using your definition, I was sold knock-offs.

dude, i read that post. vindication is yours. i'd like to know about fitment- but gosh, $230 for fakes is a little much imho. thanks for the heads up!

perfect fit, and so close to the originals, seems like someone who was already involved, had them made. Your only alternative, to a new set of orange euros, is getting a used driver side, and new pass side at the same price, and mail a bank check to germany.

of course, those clear & italian lenses getting hand crafted in Maine are primo! and at a great price.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I was bidding on these turn signals last night but got nervous when the bidding reached $175 or so. I decided to ask someone whose judgement I trust how high I should bid on these.

Although we have no way of knowing the turn signal's quality, unless we buy and see the parts, it is unknown if these parts are chrome...or "plastic chrome", which is an inexpensive copy.

The end result is they would probably look fine, but may not hold up as well. I also don't like paying way more than something is worth.

I decided against bidding higher...and lost the bid.

Just my two cents.

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

They look like the real thing to me. They were probably made by the same manufacturer who makes parts for Hella or BMW, just guessing.

They look good to me too.

How does one know if they are "knock-offs"? The original ones (1974) on my Touring have Made in Germany and numbers that are not BMW part number (probably Hella or Bosch) on the outside of the lens. Maybe there's a BMW part number on the inside?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

How does one know if they are "knock-offs"? The original ones (1974) on my Touring have Made in Germany and numbers that are not BMW part number (probably Hella or Bosch) on the outside of the lens. Maybe there's a BMW part number on the inside?

Most original BMW parts have a Roundel on them somewhere. In my experience, not many have a BMW part number on them, especially electrical stuff.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

If my memory serves me, the originals were not made by Hella but by SWF.

I for one need MUCH better pictures before I plunk down that kinda dough for non originals.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I am guessing somebody had a whole bunch of these made cheaply and is selling them one set at a time to get top dollar for them, eventually they may run out of high dollar buyers and we can get them for a more reasonable price. This is not the first set of these I have seen on Fleabay.

74 Golf

I am guessing somebody had a whole bunch of these made cheaply and is selling them one set at a time to get top dollar for them, eventually they may run out of high dollar buyers and we can get them for a more reasonable price. This is not the first set of these I have seen on Fleabay.

I'd still like to know how to tell the difference, assuming there is a difference. The Ebay Seller stated they are not BMW, but I find no way to tell that my originals are BMW either.

Here's some pics of an original blinker that came off my '71 Touring parts car, and a new one I bought some 5 years ago. The lettering both on the outside and inside is identical on both blinkers and there's no mention of BMW (no roundel no nothing).

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Some Hella and Bosch headlamps are available for, say, the e30. They are as good as the ones sold at he dealer. The flashers auctionned on eBay are probably high quality Original Equipment Manufacturer and just as good. Being brand new, it is normal they cost a bundle.

I believe I was the first here to show off my Italian-spec flashers about 12+ years ago. You'd be crying if I told you I paid $20 each from Jaymic for brand new units. Now that the 2002 is 35 year old, it is normal that parts cost more. Way more. We're still lucky new parts are still available.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.