• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toyota Celica front wheel bearings. . .help please

JohnN

So I'm helping my step-daughter's boyfriend and his 2003 Celica.

There is a very nasty wobble in the front wheels under braking, it seems that the front wheel bearings are shot on both sides.

The front spindles are slotted (no terrible surprise) but Toyota peen's the nut into the slot to hold it in place ???

WTF is with this.

Does anyone happen to have the torque spec for the front wheel bearing nut?

Thanks!!!!

John N

So I'm helping my step-daughter's boyfriend and his 2003 Celica.

There is a very nasty wobble in the front wheels under braking, it seems that the front wheel bearings are shot on both sides.

The front spindles are slotted (no terrible surprise) but Toyota peen's the nut into the slot to hold it in place ???

WTF is with this.

Does anyone happen to have the torque spec for the front wheel bearing nut?

Thanks!!!!

John N

jack it up and confirm its the bearings. wobble under braking is usually rotors. once you have it in the air, grab the tire top and bottom and try to move it. same thing at 9 and 3. if its not loose, its the rotors, not bearings. if it is, make sure the bushings, tie rod ends, etc. are all good.

Peening the nut into the slot is standard for all cars that do not use a cotter pin - and use a NEW nut!! The torque spec on the spindle nut is -0-. Tighten the nut until the wheel has a good amount of drag to seat the bearings (for a new assembly), then back it off until the wheel has some play. Tighten the nut until the play JUST goes away (many FV racers even leave a small amount of play to reduce drag when the bearings heat up), then peen the new nut into the slot. I have reused spindle nuts but only if the area to be peened is not near the old spot on the nut.

This forum is about our cars, not politics or attacks

some newer cars with the hammer lock style nuts actually do have a torque spec...like all bmw's from the e30 to present. do not use the "tighten until wobble is gone" technique on these.

not having worked on a toyota since i sold my 86 MR2 (never should have sold that car.....), i can't provide specifics for the op unfortunately.

2xM3

The torque spec on the spindle nut is -0-. Tighten the nut until the wheel has a good amount of drag to seat the bearings (for a new assembly), then back it off until the wheel has some play.

Oops, you are talking about the FRONT wheels of a FWD (was thinking the non driven wheels when I read "spindle"). For a 90-99, it is 137 ft/lbs, I don't have data for an '03.

In response to mylittle's response, any wheel bearing that is a cartridge type or has a spacer between the two bearings will typically have a torque spec. The 0 spec is for the two tapered bearings like the fronts on the 2002.

This forum is about our cars, not politics or attacks