• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DIY Breather Valve Oil Catch Can

200Duece

I have been meaning to buy a inexpensive catch can for a long while now. I have always run a little K&N filter on the nipple of the valve cover and just delt with the clean up. I have finally become tired of all the extra fumes and smell that gets into the cabin becuase of this set up. So with some left over HomeDepot GC's here's what I came up with:

1 2ft length of 2" black PVC pipe

2 2" black end caps

1 tiny jar of pipe glue

4ft length of auto radiator grade 5/8" Inner Diam hose

1 1/4" screw drain cock

1 3/8 to 3/8 straight threaded conector 1.5" long

1 3/8 thread street 90 degree elbow-- male to female

1 3/8 to 3/8 taper 90 degree elbow-- male to male

I cut a 6.5" long section of the PVC tube with a hand saw. I then marked the center of one of the caps and drilled a 5/8 inch hole and screwed the drain cock into pace with a little teflon tape.

In the second cap I tested and marked the two elbows. Then drilling a 9/16" hole and opeing the hole up a little more with a rounded cone grinding stone and dremel( a proper size drill bit will save you this trouble). Then fit the double male ended elbow with the taper on the outside of the cap. make sure you do this one first or you won't be able to screw this one in after the other. Then screw in the second elbow leaving the female side outside the cap. I did use a couple wrenches to get the elbows into place. At this time position the exits of the elbows to angle the direction that best suits where you are going to place

your catch can.

Now clean the inside of the two caps and the outer surface ends of the piping. Glue the two caps into position with the pipe glue. Once this dries, only took about 5 mins for me, atach the last male to male 3/8 inch connector. with some teflon tape to the female elbow. I also took my newly cleaned K&N filter and attached it to teh other elbo with the male end by screwing it into place and securing it with a worm clamp.

Now measure and cut a length of hose to reach the location that you are going to mount your catch can. Attach the hose to the breather valve nipple on the valve cover with a worm clamp and then to the elbow with the 3/8 inch straight connector. Also clamp this side with a worm clamp.

I then zip tied my catch can into place inside the old ring where I believe there used to be a smog filter of some sort. Came out pretty nice and for about the same cost as a cheap catch can from Summit. Less if you don't add the cost of the hose.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow

Cheers

I do only drive the car a few times per month so the carbon trail it leaves is pretty minimal and there isn't an opening on the manifold's that I'm running with the dual Webers to route the hose back into. Atleast the oil blow by is contained and not leaking onto the ground. :)

you are still venting crankcase vapors into the atmosphere. why dont you just route the hose into the intake manifold or into a charcoal canister i give you an E for effort because i think your heart is in the right place.

Burning the oil fumes isn't actually great for your engine... and besides, if you are really concerned about the environment, than driving a car from the 1970s may not be the best idea to begin with...

well im not concerned with the enviroment thats why i removed every peice of smog equipment off my 76 02 and i route my crankcase vapors down low by the subframe

Judging by your grammar, I would say you are not even worth the argument.

To OP, great idea for people on a tight budget. I hope that abs holds up well to high heat.