• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory 1974 2002 Turbo for sale on ebay....

repoman

Not mine, wish it was, but then again, if it was mine, it wouldn't be for sale...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270466581634&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Is Khang on this Board? Still puzzled as to why he wouldn't spend $400-$700 on a good crack free dash after spending some good money to restore it....

Still a very beautiful car that is in my top ten....maybe I could sell one of my kids, but which one???

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

...maybe I could sell one of my kids, but which one???

Sell 'em and buy two.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

I think he may be a bit out of line price wise. Turbos seem to be $35 -45,000 cars these days, no?

No! Just as in everything, there are turbos and then there are turbos. Individual car condition, individual buyer, the phase of the moon all enter into it but I know that some have drawn much higher than the $35-45K.

One of the biggest determinants is how sorted the car is motor wise. They were not the height of reliability and when they aren't right they get real pricey real quick, and not everyone can or does it right on turbo builds.

I hope I'm right;)

I think he may be a bit out of line price wise. Turbos seem to be $35 -45,000 cars these days, no?

No! Just as in everything, there are turbos and then there are turbos. Individual car condition, individual buyer, the phase of the moon all enter into it but I know that some have drawn much higher than the $35-45K.

One of the biggest determinants is how sorted the car is motor wise. They were not the height of reliability and when they aren't right they get real pricey real quick, and not everyone can or does it right on turbo builds.

I hope I'm right;)

Jack, if yours is a 45k car, my checkbook is always open. You are spot on about the mecanicals. Drive on, Tim

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Disagree - if you remember not too long ago there was a genuine CSL Batmobile on Ebay and he was asking $85 k if me memory is correct.

That for a car with as they say, 'provenance'.

Not to be picky but agree for this price you get a crack-free dash (and also maybe the bottom steering wheel pad) dya think?

Then again, maybe the headlight wiper/washer is worth the 20k premium.

To me this is the Greater Fool Theory in action....

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

I hope I'm right;)

Well I was actually thinking phases of the moon when I wrote that post. At the top of the market I saw a sun roof, 5 speed and fully restored turbo go for $47,000. There are quite a few turbos in Europe for sale as well around this price or a bit lower. So I think the phases of the moon in particular say this car will not sell at $60,000, will not sell at $50,000, and will sell but not super quickly at $45,000. Channeling my inner Adam Smith - there doesn't seem to be the demand and there does seem to be the supply.

I hope I'm right;)

Well I was actually thinking phases of the moon when I wrote that post. At the top of the market I saw a sun roof, 5 speed and fully restored turbo go for $47,000. There are quite a few turbos in Europe for sale as well around this price or a bit lower. So I think the phases of the moon in particular say this car will not sell at $60,000, will not sell at $50,000, and will sell but not super quickly at $45,000. Channeling my inner Adam Smith - there doesn't seem to be the demand and there does seem to be the supply.

While I agreee with you that the ebay car is certainly not a 62k car (maybe not a 45k car either), not all of these cars are equal in value. There has been at least one turbo in Ca. that sold in the >70k range, and Jack's car is certainly an upper bracket example. The really special ones are few and far between and the demand for those cars at a premium price point, while not large, is still there. I think that stands for all vintage cars. There are also 2k 2002's and 40k 2002's that are not factory turbos. Same principles apply.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

While I agreee with you that the ebay car is certainly not a 62k car (maybe not a 45k car either), not all of these cars are equal in value. There has been at least one turbo in Ca. that sold in the >70k range, and Jack's car is certainly an upper bracket example. The really special ones are few and far between and the demand for those cars at a premium price point, while not large, is still there. I think that stands for all vintage cars. There are also 2k 2002's and 40k 2002's that are not factory turbos. Same principles apply.

Yes, indeed. That eBay car would be pushing it at $45k but there are turbos that are probably worth close to $100k (but not to me). It seems that the "usual" nice but not nearly perfect turbos are $35-40k. And I agree with Jack: every turbo I've driven was slower than my Alpina A4 clone and not very enjoyable of a drive -- but none were set up properly....

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Its worth to how much the buyer is willing to pay. Just like any other vintage car. True 62k is pushing it by looking at this specific example. I know of a car here in the bay that sold not too long ago for 60k and was an original condition. Few months ago I also know of a restored example that traded hands for 75k. True there are cheaper ones but as always there's a reason why. Similar to regular 2002s you can get them for a bottle of beer or you can pay as much as $25k for it. Average sale is around 5 to 7k and I dont think anyone in the right mind would sell a 25k example for 5k regardless of this economy. Whether you wrench on your own or you pay a shop. Restoring a car is not as easy as it looks.

I dunno...

you're looking a but pudgy!

;-p

Cheers,

Ray

When I owned one. I never drove it. I was always afraid something would happen to it. The M2 is fast enough and i have a few decent bodies in case of a mishap.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.