• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 Brake booster?

jp02ti

attached is a pair of pictures from O'fest in Atlanta last week. this is a 1600 cabrio at the councourse. I noticed that it has no booster, and the brake mater is mounted directly to the pedal box. also, you can just see the mechanical clutch linkage. also, an interesting bar attaching the gearbox mount to the frame rails?

My questions - is this a stock setup? can I get a 1600 pedal box and brake master and use it in my 2002 to eliminate the booster or was this a custom setup? if it is a stock setup then how much different is the 1600 brake master from the 2002 brake master?

any info appreciated!

thanks,

Jon

post-315-13667613772336_thumb.jpg

post-315-13667613774208_thumb.jpg

Is that a Fram oil filter?

Yick!

;-p

Cheers,

Ray

p.s. MaCartney's book says some very early 1600-2's had no servo.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

And look at that mechanical clutch linkage.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Early 1600 & (I think) very early 2002s had a single remote booster. Same one that is used on all RHD '02s.

Very true. I owned a 67' 1600 with the remote booster. I'd bet the owner of the car pictured had it's booster removed due to them being hard to find in working condition now. You can use a MG, Healey, Triumph remote booster as a replacement. They are available and look nearly stock.

The mechanical clutch linkage is stock and I believe the 1600 "stabilizer rod" mount to the frame rail is stock as well being I've owned a 1600 with one before. I think this is something that was installed if you had a mechanical clutch linkage, but it appears not all cars had this when new as I've seen a early 1600 without one as well.

WH

So, from the parts book..........

US 1600-2 - no brake booster up to VIN 1563747.

However, it seems a remote brake booster "kit" was available, also up to VIN 1563747. Thus, I guess you could order your early 1600-2 with or without a remote booster.

From 1563748, US 1600-2s were fitted with an early style "fixed" booster up to VIN 1567863. Then the current (?) booster from 1567864.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Hi, I'm pretty sure this is the correct stock set up on for the early 1600 brakes and clutch.

The spin on oil filter adapter from a later 2002 was added for convenience (it had a cartridge style oil filter when I bought the car).

Our cabs engine and body serial numbers are #1557067 making it a very early example.

It also has the smaller 200mm drums in in the rear.

Some of the dash supports were also silver on these models-see photo

post-10103-13667613852467_thumb.jpg