• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what headlights are you guys using?

autoaloha

i want new headlights, mine suck. anybody have some advice on some replacements? I'm open to all suggestions, and where you got them plus a pic would be cool too

thanks!

1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzura (Fiat 124): sold

1992 300ZX Twin Turbo: sunny days

2001 Toyota 4runner: sold

1974 BMW 2002 automatic: daily

1991 BMW 325iC: sold

1986 BMW 528e: daily

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Anonymous
i want new headlights, mine suck. anybody have some advice on some replacements? I'm open to all suggestions, and where you got them plus a pic would be cool too

thanks!

Car no. 1 = Hellas

Car no. 2 = Cibies

Here are some interesting ones of my headlights for you...

They are smooth glass lenses, and put the light out as good as H4's. I also have h500 to watch for the deer ;)

Not sure what brand they are, if you like I can go look

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

-Zac

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

...round ones...

Other thing to check- make sure they're getting 13+ volts.

It's pretty common for the wiring, connections, switch, etc

to drop up to a couple of volts, and then they get quite dim.

search 'Headlight Relay' - there was a thread not so long ago.

But anything with a halogen capsule will be pretty good IF it gets full power.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I just switched from the old style 7 inch sealed beam halogens to the Hella H4s (with xenon bulb 55/60). I switched them in my car just yesterday and I can tell you from a pure safety perspective... the difference is stunning. They are approximately three times brighter and required no wiring upgrades with the bulb wattage I selected. If you are interested, call Dave at Susquehana Motor Sports and he can tell you about the H4s and your bulb options: http://www.rallylights.com/

Here is the link for the E code/H4 upgrade: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=739

The main difference in appearance is that the H4 upgrade will leave you with flat headlight lenses, rather than rounded. It is a subtle, not very noticeable difference IMHO.

Note also: the xenon bulb is brighter and lasts considerably longer. It does not produce an awkward colored bright white light... rather it looks very natural.

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

lenses are essentially flat, so it's pretty easy to add clear protective film to the front surface - after losing 3 units to flying rocks, I decided the film is worth doing, even if it has to be changed periodically.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Try that Expel/3m clear stuff over them.

I've had that on my M3 for 8 years and counting. It always cleans up well. If I need to change it, I just replace the film.

I put it on my tii too (lights and fogs). Its good stuff.

I use Bosch H4s on my tii (actually pulled from a parts car that had the old plastic covers on them) and Hella H4s on the '76.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

My favorite site for lighting information:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

He covers the science thoroughly and clearly. In my experience there is a big difference between a standard sealed-beam and any H4, and another big difference between cheap H4s and good ones like Hella or Cibie.

As others have posted, make sure you have good clean wiring connections and use relays to get the most volts to the lights.

I always end up re-aiming when I switch from sealed to H4.

-Karl

'73 '02 

• 8 months later...