• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Traveller. A Great 2002 Photo Story.

eurotrash

Life really has a way about it. A way of inspiring you when you really could use it. Or a way of giving you a pick me up when you're 1/3 of the way into a looong drive home.

IMG_1300.jpg

Here's a little slice of life that really put a grin on three peoples faces yesterday.

IMG_1336.jpg

So, after sending out an SOS here yesterday morning ( http://tinyurl.com/FAQSOS ), in regards to driving 3 hours north and having weird issues with the 2002 whist full of kids and my pregnant wife Karie. I found the problem and got my idle back! Well whahlah, the death stare dissipated and smile returned to Karie's face.

After an amazing meal of amish country meats and fine old vine wine, the day was winding down and it was time to head south from Decatur, Indiana back to Cincinnati.

IMG_1342.jpg

Due to the aforementioned issues with the car, my folks offered to keep the babies overnight and bring them home today! Pleased to have some time to ourselves, Karie and I hopped in the Deuce and hit the Road.

IMG_1376.jpg

Making our way south to Highway 124, we wound our way to Highway 33 and Wilshire, Indiana when what appears at the corner gas station other than another 2002! HOLY HELL!! Here, in the middle of nowhere, at the Indiana and Ohio State lines?!?!? So I of course have to approach the car and strike up a fervent and potentially over zealous conversation..

IMG_1383.jpg

As The conversation progressed and we spoke in bursts about the cars and our individual stories, Karie and I realized that we had stumbled onto a great 2002 story and an amazing example of how much people can love them some 2002.

IMG_1379.jpg

The guys name is Paul Lee Kupfer. He is a traveling solo artist of the folk/acoustic ilk. Originating in PA, he purchased the car in the Bay area and had proceeded to rack up 50,000 miles while touring from city to city across the country.

IMG_1384.jpg

I did my best to absorb his stories to relate to you all..He has had the car for a year and a half. In Wyoming he had strong winds blow his drivers door open and fold some sheet metal. In Boulder, Colorado (I think) he had to perform an emergency top end rebuild and while looking for a timing chain, found that the only one he could purchase was a dual row. But when he got into the motor he found single row gears! But in the interest of getting back on the road, he had to push forward and install the chain to make it to his next gig! It is still running the dual row chain on single row gears!

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

After a fill up and some more conversation, we decided that since he was heading south toward I70 on his way to West Virginia, we would travel together until our paths parted. Oh, and he intends to relocate to Knoxville after his tour, so I told him to stay in touch and I can hook him up with some 2002 peeps down that way..(you know who you are.)

And that was that! Good times.

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

Peace out Paul. Be safe!

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

It is really neat meeting other 02 people on the road. Seems we are all the same type of folks. (good people). Trading stories is the best. Usually turns out our stories have a common feature somewhere.

I like that, fix your car & act like your gonna breakdown on the road so ya pawn the rats off on the parental units for some hanky panky time with the wife.

Looks like some serious chow there. Gotta go make lunch now.....

st seems like every time I stop for gas, at an auto parts store etc someone comes over to ask about or admire my '02...

And my co-workers wonder why I drive a 40 year old car...they just don't get it.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Somehow I missed this story, Jason. Glad you made a new '02-friend. Make sure he gets on the FAQ and becomes part of the larger '02 community. He makes me think of my pal Brian who is a drummer and uses his Sahara roundie to get to gigs all over the place.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Somehow I missed this story, Jason. Glad you made a new '02-friend. Make sure he gets on the FAQ and becomes part of the larger '02 community. He makes me think of my pal Brian who is a drummer and uses his Sahara roundie to get to gigs all over the place.

Yeah, I thought of Brian as soon as Paul told me what he did! He knows this site but only comes on as a guest. I sent him the link to the Google map of owners so he could use it for assistance if needed.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002