• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dashboard Restoration - Stenciling

Miked2002

Hi,

I have contacted all three dashboard restoration companies. None of them will stencil the switch names or the gear tree on the restored dash. They say they're not equipped to do it.

Is there anyone out there who has had their dashes restored and had the switch names and the tree re-stenciled on?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Mike

73 tii #2764014

is there a chance you could post how much you were quoted from all three? I understand if you prefer not to divulge that info though. TIA.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

I've been thinking about this lately. I've seen the 5-speed gear tree stickers and I have never been comfortable with the idea of a sticker on my dashboard.

So, here's my idea: Silk Screening.

Hear me out. I did a little research a while back and I think that I could come up with a small scale silk screening method that could be used to reapply the markings to a dashboard. I originally thought of doing this to repaint some custom gauge panels.

What do you think?

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Miked2002 - Can you forward me that email you sent to Armond. I too am about to send my dash off but haven't made my mind up who to send it to. Somebody on here needs to take up dash restoration and start doing this for us - esty?

tanner at knology.net

Thanks!

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)

I've been thinking about this lately. I've seen the 5-speed gear tree stickers and I have never been comfortable with the idea of a sticker on my dashboard.

Hear me out. I did a little research a while back and I think that I could come up with a small scale silk screening method that could be used to reapply the markings to a dashboard. I originally thought of doing this to repaint some custom gauge panels.

What do you think?

They were probably originally pad printed. It's a very simple process:

- Make a die that matches the shapes you want to print.

- Roll the ink onto the die.

- Lift the print from the die with a rubber pad.

- Press the print onto the final part.

- Cure the ink.

I believe a laser-engraved wood or plastic die would work. It wouldn't cost much to try it, anyway. I don't have a need, otherwise I'd be tempted to give it a try. I think it would be much neater than silkscreen, especially since the screens would have to be very small to fit within the gauge cluster contours.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Clay,

I'm kind of thinking along those same lines. I live near Los Angeles so I'm going to contact a few automotive airbrushing companies and see what they say. If those guys can airbrush psychedelic skulls with blood dripping from their fangs on the side of a Harley gas tank, I think painting "Wiper Speed" in a semi-circle should be a no brainer.

Mike

Mike

73 tii #2764014

Mike,

The lettering/screenprinting is a US thing. The european models had the switches with the functions on the faces. The early US 02's had a similar set-up.

So one can do all that work and figure a new lettering process of find the euro style and be done with it. The early switches have a differeent shape to them, so it would not be completely orginal. The tii is not being sold though so why not be different?

The Tii touring is this way. You may not have noticed that when you came up.

Parts inquiries: 2002haussales@gmail.com FAQ Supporting Vendor  www.2002haus.com www.bmw2002registry.com  Free Your Mind - Remove the Chains and Think 

Rob,

I'm wasn't sure what the old style switches look like. Unfortunately when Dan and I were at your shop I didn't notice the them. So I pulled out my Owners Manual out (imagine that!) and the picts show the euro style. The euro switch knobs are cool. I think I'd go this route if I can get all of the knobs in good shape. Is there one for the Wiper Speed? I don't see one.

If you have them, I'll take them.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

73 tii #2764014

What do you think?

They were probably originally pad printed. It's a very simple process:

- Make a die that matches the shapes you want to print.

- Roll the ink onto the die.

- Lift the print from the die with a rubber pad.

- Press the print onto the final part.

- Cure the ink.

I believe a laser-engraved wood or plastic die would work. It wouldn't cost much to try it, anyway. I don't have a need, otherwise I'd be tempted to give it a try. I think it would be much neater than silkscreen, especially since the screens would have to be very small to fit within the gauge cluster contours.

Even better!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Assume all Euros were the same and not just the UK.

My Touring has no gear shift stencil nor switch lettering. The knobs have the required icon on them. Don't know if Euro switch knobs are available, but they just screw onto the switch to make an easy changeout.

Click on the pics and you can make out the icons (just!).

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17