• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mo's 72 Taiga tii Restomod auto conversion

mo's72tii

I am in the process of restoring and modernizing a 72 Taiga tii. It is going to be a first car for my daughter so I am converting it to an automatic. Please no hate mail!

I bought a 74 auto that I am using for the transmission and assorted other parts. I have pulled the motor and 4 speed and have modified the tunnel to accomodate the auto.

The car will have a bare meatal paint job in the original color and every other part will be replaced or restored. I am adding a/c, heated front seats,touch screen nav..ipod..back up camera to the center console, led lighting including a third brake light, battery reloacation to the trunk,320i radiator, intermittant wipers, electronic ignition, euro license plate lighting, shaving the front and rear side markers and a host of other things. Car came with Italian turn signal indicators and Hella driving lights.

I will add some pixs. I probably should have started taking the pixs before I stripped the car and pulled the motor and trans.

Vin:

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2761908 was manufactured on May 31st, 1972 and delivered on June 2nd, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Taiga metallic, paint code 072.

Decided to give the tii a Halloween present.....complete engine rebuild since it is already out of the car. Also decided on installing an aluminum radiator and auto trans cooler.

11/11/09 Found out the nose to my 72 was probably a 74 euro nose (Thanks Blunt!). Dr Mike an FAQer had a 72 beak for sale and it arrived today. It needs a lil work but it will be period correct when I get done. Thanks all for the nose job help.

11/21/09 Beakless and getting stripped

Working on the nose and converting the pedal box from the 74 auto doner to the 72 tii. Stripped the interior. Engine getting rebuilt and the head was bad. Got a another head and having it rebuilt. Mishmoto radiatior and transmission cooler arrived.

post-17459-13667614309019_thumb.jpg

post-17459-13667616210264_thumb.jpg

post-17459-13667619620765_thumb.jpg

<p>69 (M2 Project-stalled); 72tii (a) Taiga/ m42 swap in process;91 E30 vert; 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS; 65 Mustang fastback 500hp+ resto mod in process ;72 Porsche 911s project; 70 2002 M2 2.5L getting closer

Marc, I am also in the process. I am working on a 72tii. My build is going to be mainly all stock but I am going to have a few minor upgrades. We should compare notes man. I would like to work with you on figuring out the A/C upgrade. So far 2002AD can sell a complete kit. Esty will be able to make you the upgraded console. If you purchase 2002ad a/c kit it comes with a user behr console. All you have to do is send it to her and she will rebuild it to new. She can also cut the perfect layout for your nav. She can also sell you carpet in almost every color - complete kits.

I was thinking about having Esty make me a console with behr vents on top, the Alpine unit below, then ordering a new ash tray container from Blunt to mount below the Alpine. Also have the hazard button on the bottom left. On the bottom right cigarette lighter outlet.

I was then going to change the ash tray container into a iphone dock.. Then the stereo installer would be able to hook up iphone into ash tray. This setup will hide all wires.

1, What brand of electronic ignition are you using?

2, I noticed you mentioned 320I Radiator - I would highly suggest you ordering a Curt Ingraham tripple three core radiator. It's by far the best. I have also heard it's easier to install ac with his radiator.

Hi Todd

Thanks for the info!

Not sure yet on the electronic iginition. I understand there are several that work well.

Did you order the ac kit form Ben at 2002AD? He called me yesterday about some other parts I ordered. I was going to cut some additional vents in the dash on the ends.

Who is "Esty" on the console? I am a little way off from setting up the console but am palying with some layouts. I will have it all fabricated when I get it figured out. I want a probably 5"-6" touch screen nav, ipod, back up camera system in the spot most people locate the center ac vents.

I am going to add front seat warmers and I am also going to need to find a spot for the heater controls.

How far are you along on your car? Are you doing the work?

Did you do the radiator upgrade with the one you told me about? Is it readily available.

Are you relocating the battery to the trunk?

Have you looked at doing an upgrade to the rear brakes? I know there are a couple of choices....adding disks or 320I upgraded drums.

There is a guy in La Jolla, Ca (La Jolla Independent BMW...Craig Nelson) that has a good selection of parts (relatively fair on pricing) and very knowlegeable.

I just ordered a Hella LED third brake light from Daniel Stern Lighting (mod. #38). If you plan on driving yours it is probably prudent to add the light. I am also going to swap out all the lights for LED bulbs.

Have any pixs?

Marc

<p>69 (M2 Project-stalled); 72tii (a) Taiga/ m42 swap in process;91 E30 vert; 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS; 65 Mustang fastback 500hp+ resto mod in process ;72 Porsche 911s project; 70 2002 M2 2.5L getting closer

Marc, I haven't ordered the kit yet from Ben @ 2002ad. I am still reviewing pricing.

Esty- She is awesome man. She doesn't do this for a living...2002's are her passion. She produces complete carpet sets in almost all colors as well as trunk mats. She just started producing consoles for resale, custom face plates, and recovers behr a/c consoles with new face plates. http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,profile/mode,viewprofile/u,164/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/p,648778/highlight,/#648778

Radiators: Curt Ingraham - You can search the faq for days and all members would agree he produces the best. He also refurbishes instrument clusters and timing switches.

Check out the pictures:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,326321/highlight,curt+ingharaham/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,profile/mode,viewprofile/u,512/

Seats: I would talke to Dave @ Aardvarc Racing. He also can recover your door panels to match your new seats. Also sells the nicest chrome bumpers.

http://www.2002parts.com/html/recaro_seats.html

Battery to trunk: my favorite kit is by racetep. I am not sure if I am going to do this.

http://www.racetep.com/bmwmainframe.html

Brakes: I have not decided what I am going to do but most likely will order kit from Jeff Ireland. http://www.iemotorsport.com/

Jeff sold me a really nice stainless strut bar, lowered springs, fixed camber plates etc. Jeff and his crew are very resourceful. You can call his shop anytime and they will figure out your brakes.

OE Parts: Blunt Tech... You will not find a better guy to deal with. Not to mention his pricing can't be beat.

Steve@BluntTech.com

Hope this helps, Todd

I forgot seat belts. I ordered vintage Auto Flugs from Al but he now has new Auto Flugs. I would probably go with the new if I was going to re order. Just piece of mind... knowing you have new belts on your daughters car.

Click this link to get his email-

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,329986/

Thanks Todd,I have a small correction to add: I do have new seat belts made by Key Security Systems (KSS) (formerly Honeywell/Allied/Bendix) which use Klippan brand retractors, not new Autoflugs, and new Repa cable buckle receivers. I do however have vintage Repas and Autoflugs that I sell here at FAQ in exchange of your old belts.

HTH

Marc, you are going to need to upgrade your alternator as well to power your nav/sound system. Esty set me up with the people she uses.

Starters Alternators

teamgri@yahoo.com

I bought:

Tii 80amp w/Built In Regulator : $120.00

2002 Tii Light Weight High Torque Starter $89.95

Todd

Thanks for all the tips and info!

I am learing about the 2002's. I finished an e30 vert for my older daughter that came out real good. Her younger sister wanted something different and liked the 2002's. As such, I am taking on another project.

Why are you not considering the battery relocation?

I was going to do an LED tail and turn signal bulb upgrade but the guy that is supplying the Hella third brake light wrote me a doctoral thesis on why not to do it. I will include his comments when I get his approval to do so.

What are you doing with your center console?

Are you looking at A/C systems other than the 2002AD kit?

Thanks

Marc

As far the wheels I got a set of Ronal LS's 15" 4x100. I am not sure I want the BMW center caps which I can get for the wheels. I have an extra set of the Rolnal center caps and I was thinking about having a set painted silver to match the rims.

post-17459-13667614189398_thumb.jpg

post-17459-13667614189568_thumb.jpg

post-17459-1366761422794_thumb.jpg

Marc, So far Ben is the only 2002 part seller with a total kit. Kit: (for a tii, and includes everything you'll need for both in-car and under the hood install of the system except for the hoses, which have to be custom-fit.) That is the Behr or Fridking console.

I have not ordered yet.. I haven't been able to find any shops that will quote install or even an hourly rate. If I lived on the West Coast- I would of already had A/C installed. If I can't find a shop I am probably going to send Esty my shifter platform and get a custom console. I really like Bill Williams's console. I don't want to use gauges so I can fit a double din Alpine screen. If you want the gauges- Esty can design your faceplate with exact location you want. Parker Performance sells the gauges. He also sells faceplates but he doesn't sell new console or recover used consoles. Well, he can recover but he has to send it off to a upholstery shop.

http://www.parkerperformance.com/

See Bill William's post...

-

see the console queen at work about 2/3 the way down in this blog.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,286338/

-

I have not researched LED lighting: I did research HID kits. LPI racing sells a nice kit. I would email Mark and see what he recommends for the tail and turn signal. Essem.w in Texas is designing a new true bi-xenon HID kit. I am going to wait and compare both kits.

Mark Preisendorf

LPI Racing Wholesale

925-371-5520

WWW.LPiracing.com

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,328629/highlight,/

I did a set of HID's on the E30 and they worked out great. I also ordered clear turn signal lens from Germany and installed stealth bulbs that turn yellow when powered but clear otherwise.

For a nice custom console, I suggest you look into Parker Performance. Someday, I'm going to install one to replace my stock Behr A/C console faceplate.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

For a nice custom console, I suggest you look into Parker Performance. Someday, I'm going to install one to replace my stock Behr A/C console faceplate.

They are indeed very nice, but I wish Parker could reproduce white lettering.

Al, I believe possibly Keith Kreeger can offer replacement decals for the (2) console knobs. Then again, I could be wrong.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”