• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02Berfest NC Drive in the twisties

jgerock

I just returned from a wonderful weekend having fun with the 02 Group in NC, flinging the tii around some great twisty roads in NC/VA.

Now I know why the 02 series cars are such cult-cars!

Starting out Friday at 6:15am in Alexandria

Photobucket

Saturday's pit stop in Fancy Gap, VA

Fancy Gap pit stop

Visit to Chateau Morrisette Winery after our long, fun drive thru the twisty roads (thanks to Mike and Eileen Pugh)

Photobucket

Then a wonderful dinner hosted by Brooke and Shane's friend Betsy located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway

Besty's hideaway

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Another great German marque

Back home Sunday with slight diversion to some more twisties on Route 60 west of Lexington, VA then to Route 29 North

Route 29 in VA

I arrived back home this afternoon ready for another trip. Final mileage for the weekend: 931 miles.

Final mileage

Thanks again to the 02 Group for being wonderful hosts to "out-of-towners" such as myself and Jim/Mary Denker from Ohio.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Once again another great 02berfest. Thanks to Brooke and Shane for all of their efforts to coordinate this event and make sure everyone had fun and was well fed. A good time was had by all I believe. Started out a little cold and cloudy but the roads were dry and the clouds gave way to a sunny and cool day by the afternoon.

Congrats on winning the 02 trivia contest Jim! The Beekers won the 02 Humanitarian Award given by Humberto and Scott received acknowledgment for his past leaderships and efforts. Several new BMW friends showed and most of the hard core 02 Group! Jim and Mary all the way from Dayton and Jim down from the DC and Dave from MD

I did not take many pictures (too busy) but the below link will show you some of mine. The mountains of NC/VA were beautiful and it was fun to throw up the leaves in the road with a bunch of 02s!

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/mikeinnc/02berfest%202009/?albumview=slideshow

Mike sure picked some great roads! I could feel my triceps getting a good workout from all the curves( (and trying to keep up with Mike in the lead). The 02 Group members sure know how to drive the back roads (even if they have worn out front ends ;-) - no giveaways here).

My best mpg was 33.4 - worst was 23.5. Not too bad for an old tii with stock springs/struts, 14" wheels and urethane sway bar link bushings.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim, it was very good to get better acquainted. It was well worth the 380 mile drive we've decided! Your tii bested Dieter. I managed to get 25 MPG. We had a great time thanks to those wonderful 02GROUP members. I will be inspired to set up an extra-special MW '02 GTG sometime in 2010. Y'all are invited, so I'll keep you informed. Hope everyone had a safe trip home with no breakdowns. Thanks to all of our wonderful hosts!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Jim, it was very good to get better acquainted. It was well worth the 380 mile drive we've decided! Your tii bested Dieter. I managed to get 25 MPG. We had a great time thanks to those wonderful 02GROUP members. I will be inspired to set up an extra-special MW '02 GTG sometime in 2010. Y'all are invited, so I'll keep you informed. Hope everyone had a safe trip home with no breakdowns. Thanks to all of our wonderful hosts!

Jason Gipson likes this.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Did I see Greg Johnson (Greg usually does not get out of the house unless Roach or Leeper are with him - go figure that one out) in the photos too? His copper colored car, forgot what it is, is phenom!

Put those three together and my face hurts from laughing

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Guest Anonymous

... if I had, we would have had all the predicted snow and rain. So I brought Nick (the 330xi), so we had pretty decent weather. Sigh. At least I got to ride in "Bob," Greg Johnson's lovely 1980 528i (with 19,000 miles on the clock).

Dave Roach

"Molly" (Inka 1973 2002)

"Nick" (Schwartz 2004 330xi)

And the story of her life I was so glad you brought that book. This has to be the coolest 02 in my opinion, (about a million miles all by the same owner!!) and I had told the gang about her so many times, it was good that they got to see the pictures. Now to see the car fresh from its concours win and Rally victory :)

It was good to see you Dave and meet Greg. And Bill, these guys still kept us in stitches, I wished I had saved Greg's Trivia Contest answers, everyone got a big kick out of them. And Dave actually knew the color code for Inka, which he would have never lived down if he had not have :)

And Greg E12 with 19k miles on it is really awesome and it hung right in there with us 02s !!