• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Mercedes Diesel is Dieseling

Brandon

To CD or any other benz expert, my '80 300sd (w116) won't stop running with the key! I know there is some kind of vacuum device on the injection pump that controls this but I do not have much knowledge about these cars. Any advice or websites about this problem is appreciated! TIA

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Jeremy - I cannot recall what the issue is, but I remember the problem from the late '80's. If I'm not mistaken, there is a manual lever on the pump to cut the fuel off (and stop the engine).

I've had good luck asking questions here http://www.benzworld.org/forums/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=e40181076db16c48cebdf5c5df6004d6

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jeremy - I cannot recall what the issue is, but I remember the problem from the late '80's. If I'm not mistaken, there is a manual lever on the pump to cut the fuel off (and stop the engine).

I've had good luck asking questions here http://www.benzworld.org/forums/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=e40181076db16c48cebdf5c5df6004d6

Hey Jim thanks for the info. Yes there is a 'stop' lever on top of the engine to stop the thing running. This is what I've been doing every time I drive the car and I'd like to get it back to stopping with the key.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

There's a vacuum pull mechanism on the back of the injection pump that shuts the fuel off when you turn the key. That could be bad, or there could be a lack of vacuum to pull the mechanism, caused by a leak or faulty vacuum pump. If you replace the pull mechanism, be careful and make sure that the linkage is engaged correctly, otherwise it could jam the pump to full fueling and rev the motor to redline upon start up (with no good way to shut it off.)