• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ansa Sport Exhaust

whitmontross

Will the Ansa Sport Exhaust fit a 1974 2002Tii? Here is the link of what I was looking to buy online.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQBMWQQ2002QQAnsa_SportQQMufflerQQ19691976QQANSABW0225.html?apwcid=G1225939187W491258f3acead

I know that this has been talked about a lot but I was searching the forum and didn't see any posts that answer this question. I appreciate the help.

Whit

1974 2002Tii

Verona

It kinda makes me mad how they display both pieces in the picture then list it only as the center pipe. A bit deceiving if you ask me. I have both the center pipe/muffler installed on my 76 non tii, and I love the way it sounds, not too loud, but meaty and sporty.

'76 2002

Yea, I just spent 20 minutes clarifying with their "Live Help" for what was exactly for sale here. Anyhow, the partsbin has both mufflers for cheaper, tempted to buy it, but will hold off.

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?N=9164&Nr=OR(AND(make:BMW,model:2002,year:1976),AND(universal:1))&Vi=1580+9689+4294962946&y=1976&mk=BMW&md=2002

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

I got one about 5 months ago, it's still sitting in the box in the garage. I can look to see where I bought it from if you're trying to find one. These folks ordered it right from Ansa it took a while before it actually came, more than a month. But hey, they were the only folks who got their hands on one.

be careful with the muffler part number! i don't think they make a sport muffler for the square tails anymore and the 027 model for the roundies will not fit without modifying the hanger brackets (both hanger brackets need to move 3 inches sideways from where the roundie muffler hangs.)

do a search...there are many threads on this specific topic, including one where i posted pictures of the differences in the hangers.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,327488/highlight,ansa/

2xM3

The early model 027 muffler does not fit the late model cars. Not even close. How bout some installation/modification tips from the late model owners who have adapted the early muffler to their late model cars? It can be done! How have you done it? Pictures?

ANSAoldcatalogpicBMW2002.jpg

modifing the hanger brackets on the small

rear muffler so it will hang with original

rubber hanger and original floor bracketfor 1974/5/6

big bumper cars HAS been described many times - please use SEARCH

the only available rear muffler is for the small bumper cars

because the overal length is shorter

it's usable on big bumper cars after you weld on different hanging

hook to align with the floor bracket - DO NOT ALTER THE ORIGINAL

TRUNK FLOOR HANGING HOOKS

it is L O U D .

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

lol! i almost copied one of your posts on ansa's from another thread into this one c.d.!

c.d. is spot on....the small can ansa is LOUD. and like he said, since it is made for small bumper cars, it is several inches shorter in length and sits well under an un-tucked big bumper.

marshall

2xM3

• 10 years later...

Greetings-Back in the mix with my third 2002 (last one was decades ago)

Anyway, I just got a 1976 big bumper car and installed an Ansa exhaust bought with my understanding it would fit the 1976 model.

As pervious post suggest they do not.  After new brackets being welded my shop got it installed.  However tailpipe sits under the bumper rather than extending  out. I am also  getting  a strong exhaust smell inside car in addition to headaches when I drive.

The Trunk seal could probably be replaced and ordered an OEM one today.  Im thinking the fact that the pipes exit under the bumper is adding to the problem--Any thoughts?  Are there suitable pipe extensions that may help?

Thanks in advance. 

I just installed one on my 74, although I have removed the big diving board bumpers. No smell.

I'd get that car up on a set of jack stands or a lift and take a good look around. I'm betting it either wasn't tightened down correctly or you have another problem elsewhere. GL

• Thanks 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

21 hours ago, WgaryL said:

The Trunk seal could probably be replaced and ordered an OEM one today.  Im thinking the fact that the pipes exit under the bumper is adding to the problem--Any thoughts?

The sheet metal that the seal mounts to is often bent down from people leaning on it when getting things out of the trunk and that creates a gap at the lid.  You can check the gap by closing the lid on a  piece of paper and then sliding the paper around.  It is easy to pull up on the sheet metal to get a better seal.

Exhaust leaks underneath the car are usually audible, but maybe less so with a louder muffler to compete with. 

The tip coming off of my stock muffler ends underneath the big bumper and I don't have a problem with exhaust smell.  (Bending the sheet metal eliminated it).

I wish there was such an easy fix for the "wildfire" smoke.  I actually wore a respirator while driving around yesterday.  I took it off at the stoplights.

Tom

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies and info!

As stated my existing trunk seal needs to be replaced and I will now also look at the sheet metal lip as well!

Hope it helps....I too though about some type of respirator and installing a co2 detector  ?