• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think of these two cars?

Anthemavm

I am trying to learn more about the 2002, and was really looking for a nice 69, the year I was born.

I am wondering what the group things on these two cars. thanks for helping a newbie out.

I’m selling my Amazon Green BMW 2002. Completely rust free car. I purchased the car 2 years ago from a 2002 enthusiast who had the engine rebuilt (Weber carb). He also completely restored the exterior. New paint (original color) and installed all new trim. After purchasing, I dove into restoring the entire interior. Spared no expense. I stripped the inside bare and repaired the small amount of rust in floor pans with POR15. Then covered all surfaces with Dynamat and new molded carpet kit from World Upholsterey. Custom floor mats from World Upholstery. Replaced front seats with completely restored and newly covered Recaros from Aardvark Racing. Rear seat cover new as well from Aardvark. Restored the center console with gauge kit from Parker Performance and installed Blaupunkt digital receiver with Infinity speakers (6x9 rear deck and 4” below rear seat) and Alpine amp in trunk. Dash is in perfect condition. Headliner is flawless. Heater works great and recently replaced heater control valve. Replaced door seals and rocker panel trim on both sides. New windshield. New BMW roundel logos on hood, trunk and all 4 wheels. Brand new tires. Wheels are newly powder-coated bottle caps. The car is truly handsome inside and out. See lots of photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31047867@N08/

I have a 1969 BMW 2002 roundie with matching body, frame, and engine numbers with about 98k miles showing on the odometer that i’m looking to sell. This 2002 features a rebuilt, ported 2.1 L engine that runs strong. Motor has about a 10:1 compression ratio, oversize pistons, a mild cam, new electronic fuel pump, Pertronix electronic ignition, Weber 38/38 carburetor with a K&N filter, all mated to a smooth shifting 4 speed manual transmission with a nice tight short shift kit. The oil has been changed within the last 500 miles as well as the differential oil at the same time. When you look into the oil fill hole, there is absolutely no sludge to be seen at all. The synchros are a little crunchy only when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gears, and beyond that it shifts flawlessly. I have not had the sychros replaced because I was planning on installing a 5 speed swap but just haven’t gotten around to it yet. The clutch is still in great shape and has lots of life left in it. The entire brake system has also been just about been completely replaced with the exception of the master cylinder in March of this year. The previous installed a new OEM exhaust system and to that I added a Super Sprint stainless steel header in early October of this year.

The interior has black and gray Recaro seats from I believe a 318i (small wear on passenger left seat bolster), fresh tan carpeting, clean uncut door panels, original headliner with one very small rip in the rear right side about half an inch long, Momo Alpina four spoke leather wrapped steering wheel and a very nice refinished gauge cluster where everything works as it should. The car has 14" BBS basket weave rims with pretty new tires on there with a solid 75% tread left. The car will also come with the original tool kit as well as the original spare tire in the trunk.

The exterior of this 1969 BMW 2002 is in excellent condition. Car was stripped and repainted about 2 years ago. I put a new coat of wax every couple of months to keep the paint looking as it should. The trunk interior has been completely restored. The chrome trim on the exterior is very clean and has been re-polished however there are some nicks here and there to the trim. All the emblems have been replaced. The bumpers have been re-chromed at the same time the car was painted. The car has a new windshield as well as new rubber seals front and rear. Most of the seals and rubbers have been replaced. There is about a pint of the paint left over for touch up spots if needed. The only rust issues i’m aware of are in the trunk where the wheel wells meet up to the trunk floor.

Over all this is a very nice roundie 2002 that drives very well. In the time i’ve owned the car, it has never left me stranded, not even once. I would consider this a very solid and reliable daily driver that will get you where you need to go in style. There won’t be a day that goes by that someone won’t ask you about the car, give you a thumbs up, give an approving nod or do a double take. People love this car.

http://s687.photobucket.com/albums/vv235/oneder_album/

Thanks again for your input.

You should post the prices for those.

The 69 is bound to have more serious rust issues like the aforementioned shock tower rust, etc. It seems to be a nice car, but the rust is probably lurking somewhere else as well that's why it's being sold. I would buy the 69 if the price was in the sweet spot and the rust limited to only that particular area. Also the tranny might be shot on it. It could be a nice project.

75 is less desirable, but might be overall a more solid car, less molested perhaps.

P.S. the smaller circles show where it's gonna rust through later on. I would check the lower 1/4 panel sections for rust, and the floors.

post-2405-13667614628187_thumb.jpg

68' 2002 DD

THIS CAR APPEARS TO BE one you can buy and drive,

after you remove the front strut elevator spacers,

and remove the red paint from the oil filler cap

4048835446_877241560e.jpg

BUT THIS CAR IS ONE that you'll be worring

that something may fall off it at the wrong time

Do you like endless labor on metal that is no more ?

Drive both, look really close underneath both.

Sure folks rave over car #2 when they pass by it

I love dogs and babies too - but not in my garage.

happy hunting

DSC_5693-2.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

they treated / stored / maintained over their life spans? It's hard to find cars as old as ours with full ownership / maintenance histories, but any info you can piece together will help.

It's definately advisable to get a detailed prepurchase inspection (prefereably by someone with '02 experience), which should include close examination of all documentation that's available on work that's been done to date (especially paint and body work - recent paint can cover a multitude of sins). If you're not familiar with the shops that did significant work on the car, try to get feedback from other folks who have had work done by them.

A couple of factors can complicate the purchase of cars that were relatively inexpensive, high production volume vehicles when new - they tended to lose value relatively quickly over the first 10 years or so, and because they were fairly cheap and plentiful, lots of them got "ridden hard and put away wet". 30-40 years on, that hard usage can result in metal fatigue, rust, and components that are simply worn out from high milage and abuse.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)