• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying first 2002, good deal or not?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1436855857.html

Issues: Rear defroster not working, unknown mileage, mismatched interior (torn black recaro seats up front, reconditioned navy blue rear seats), windshield wiper motor issues... fuse blows immediately when put on the fastest setting. The floor boards have been repaired due to rust.

Seems to run strong and drive well. Doesn't smoke, everything seems tight. Pretty sure the transmission is good, still need to test out the diff.

Just wondering what people think it's worth roughly. I honestly can't tell if $4.5 k is fair, or if it's worth half that. Opinions? I either need to buy this in a few hours or walk from it.

if that car can be driven 300 - 600 miles home,

at 75MPH all day long. and stop straight, no vibrations,

steering tight, no loud bearing noises, and if you don't mind

a torn up mix-mash interior, suspect holy floors that are

a coverup for greater things to come, and $4,500.oo is

pocket change to you that you can afford to loose on a bad deal?,

go for it.

Otherwise it's a $450.oo car with a tall story about

all it greatness to the seller, but a total disaster

for the new owner.

doesn't smell good from here (not at $4,500.oo)

maybe it's the included set of mounted

Studded-Snow tires that makes it a great deal?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Well, he's done all the repairs and upgrades to make it a cool '02. Interior can be fixed easily enough. The BIG question is rust. Send me an e-mail (fwardell at bellsouth dot net) and I'll send you an '02 buyers guide which tells all the stuff you need to heed. Based on what little I can tell from the ad, I'd offer maybe $3000, based on absence of serious rust - floorboard repair may be an indicator.

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

@CD are you serious??

$450?? I mean come on.. he's a new guy looking for advice.. if you really think that car is worth $450 then you shouldn't own one.

That's about as fair of a price as it gets. If the guy thinks the floorboard repair is fine then good. He sounds like he's buying an 02 for fun not for a restoration canidate.

I think it's a good deal. You know guys how much all these thing costs - sunroof cables, seals, new dash, recaros, suspension, LSD, euro bumpers, etc... About the milage, not much of our cars have absolutely real and known milage, it's normal for 30-40 years car. I think that even if the car was driven a lot if the engine is good as he said just buy it. Of course check what's with the rust, but the car is enough good for these money... I don't know what you expect for this money... :)

The BMW 2002 tii VIN 2719550 was manufactured on July 3rd, 1973 and delivered the same day to the BMW dealer Zeiss & Schwärzel in Mannheim. The original colour was Golf, paint code 070.

Maybe a little high given the electrical problems. Maybe those don't bother you much but I'm a-sceerd of 'lectricty. Check very carefully for rust and the quality of any repairs. Euro bumper squaries are cool looking

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

If it doesn't have any structural rust, that's a fair price. I'm going through a '75 right now and doing all the stuff that has been done to that car. It's costing me a lot more in time and money than you'd pay for that one..

Rear seats are about the easiest thing in the world to dye. Those electrical issues are pretty minor. Does the heater work?

Offer the guy 4k. See what he says.

A lot of this car's worth will be in the "how they put it back together"-ness of it all... All that new trim and weatherstripping and sunroof stuff is awesome, unless a nincompoop re-installed it...

Good luck!!

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

1975 Millie the Falcon (Originally Polaris, currently Primer-Grey/Spa-Blue)

1975 Eamon the Golden Nugget (Originally Golf, currently several other yellows, someday Dakar)

I paid $4500 for a car with rust in a fender, so-so paint, no gas pedal, missing a window mechanism, and a cracked radiator, crappy exhaust, so so brakes - Oh the head was bad too but I only found out later...

So in my book, your deal is not bad... What you mention as issues is stuff you may enjoy tracking down and fixing, vs. redoing bodywork and paint, which is where the big money is...

A word on values... And this is *not* directed at CD, for whom I have a lot of respect, but generally speaking, it amuses me no end to hear broad statements about pricing, irrespective of location, opportunity, detailed pictures etc... If that car is a $450 one indeed, we are missing out on a great opportunity to buy them all at that price and flip them to other idiots such a me who enjoy paying too much, seemingly...

I mean if you read this board, you will largely believe that you can steal a nice 2002 for $250 every day of the week... Truth is, we're not all so lucky, a lot of us look for decent cars for ages and can't find one, and we buy what we can at a price that passes for market value in our area.

There is also a secret society in the forum who don't like to advertise the fact that they have 10, 15 or even $20K invested into refurbishing their 02s, and some of them aren't even Tiis (Gasp). $450 cars indeed !

Last note: Now let me do a complete 180 and say I do think that's a tad above what I have seen for similar cars though... I'd offer $500 to $1000 less and wait .. I also think roundies are cuter (sorry!!!!)

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

Just wondering what people think it's worth roughly. I honestly can't tell if $4.5 k is fair, or if it's worth half that. Opinions? I either need to buy this in a few hours or walk from it.

I would not let either of these things drive my buying desision. If you are on this forum, you have an idea of what this kinda car sells for today. You also do not want the buying decision to be "clock-driven." You are gonna have to live with this decision and the accompanying costs--alone. Take a deep breath, walk around the block, and then YOU should decide what it's worth to YOU.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

If in your gut, it feels right and has no major rust- just buy it. I think it is a relatively fair price if you like the car and its options-but all markets are different. Depends on what you value- You could spend a lot more time trying to save $500 (and spend it in travel $) but some people like the hunt.

75 02

If the ad is true, it's worth $4500. (He should have more pictures.)

As mentioned by others, look for rust. It needs to go on a lift and inspected. Frame rails, the area around the pedal box, the front nose, shock towers of course and the floors.

The fact that the car comes with a set of studded tires would be the reason for the close inspection for rust. Take it to a local mechanic and have it inspected closely before you buy it. The $100 or so you will spend will not only give you piece of mind but may uncover other issues that may need to be addressed, not to mention additional ammunition to offer the seller a lower price because of those issues.

His price is $4500 OBO. He will probably accept $4K.

Caution: If the car has structural rust, DON"T BUY IT, no matter how cheap, unless you decide to part it out. Then, it's $1000 car at the most. ($450 if it didn't have the small bumpers.)

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Here's a $450.00 car...... I think you should go for it.

204.jpg

Bob

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

In my opinion that is better than fair unless one of these things will be needed shortly:

1. Engine

2. Transmission

3. Structural rust

These "types" of cars come up often in the Bay Area. I bought one a few months ago. Someone "starts" to sort out the issues and then finds themselves less interested in doing all the work (my car) or has had the car for a while and isn't interested any longer in keeping up an o2 (my buddies car).

You would have to see it in person to judge the quality of the work done on it. Also: one person's "rust-free" is another man's rustbucket. Same with engines: he could say the engine is flawless & you could find out it's very tired & smokey! However, it could be a very solid '02. I want to know why the seller is selling it after all that TLC & $$ he's spent on it.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz