• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002 121

johnrepus

Just purchased a 1972 BMW 2002 with 121 engine!

I haven't received the car yet, but have already scoured this forum reading about all the exciting projects I could start.

This is my first ever rebuild and look forward to the project and challenge. My end goal is to have a fun, reliable, daily driver that I can enjoy.

Just wanted to say, "hello", post a few pictures from the auction, and ask some preliminary questions.

Here are some projects that the previous owner had completed:

- Replaced drivers floor pan and frame rail by welding in rust-free replacements from 2002 and manually coating them with undercoating. Also did drivers and passenger sills- these were all completely rotten in typical 2002 fashion.

- Replaced heater core and fan

- New hard and soft brake and clutch lines, and new clutch master cylinder

- New carpeting

- Removed and sealed exhaust studs from oil leakage

Here are some concerns that he had:

- A/C not connected electrically

- Drivers door lock cylinder missing; new locks provided- I never installed them since it was garage kept

- Front end shimmies a bit at speed

- Turn signal switch is broken

- Drivers door trim does not stay in place

- Drivers door does not close flush- it re-opens about .25" at the seam

- Front left tire has a slow leak

- Dash has the usual crack in the middle

- Original seats have some splits

Can you guys advise on how I should prioritize this rebuild?

post-17550-13667614984621_thumb.jpg

post-17550-13667614986215_thumb.jpg

post-17550-13667614987298_thumb.jpg

post-17550-13667614988403_thumb.jpg

post-17550-13667614989533_thumb.jpg

Here are some concerns that he had:

- A/C not connected electrically

- Drivers door lock cylinder missing; new locks provided- I never installed them since it was garage kept

- Front end shimmies a bit at speed

- Turn signal switch is broken

- Drivers door trim does not stay in place

- Drivers door does not close flush- it re-opens about .25" at the seam

- Front left tire has a slow leak

- Dash has the usual crack in the middle

- Original seats have some splits

Can you guys advise on how I should prioritize this rebuild?

Hey John,

Welcome to the madness!!

Assuming the PO's work is done right (you shouldn't assume this, by the way. But for the sake of argument, let's say you check his work and the car is solid, warm, and dry...)

The order I'd go in, by your list, is thus:

Get a new tire for that one with the slow leak. Hell, I'd probably just go get four new tires, because I like to have new tires on a new car. Accccctually, I'd probably run out and get a set of bottlecaps and put new tires on THOSE... But let's say you like the turbines. Get new tires.

With new (balanced) tires, you can get an alignment shop to look at what's causing the shimmies. Could be an adjustment, could be a wheel out of balance, could be you need some new steering components.

Next, get that turn signal stalk taken care of. Gotta have signals.

Then, I'd go after the drivers' door. Not too tricky to get the new lock cylinder in there, and probably even get it to close right. Once it's closing right, you can see what's hanging up the trim. It sounds like someone did a number on that drivers' door. Since you're going to use it every time you get in and out of the car, it should be pretty high up on your list (after the safety stuff, of course.) Plus, with it open that quarter-inch while your driving, it'll be loud and probably get you wet the next time it rains. If you're lucky, all you need are those groovy little rubber things that go on the latches.

For your dash, get one of those magic shade things to keep the crack from getting bigger. Just say 'NO' to crack! Sorry, don't know what to do about the split seats other than get sheepskins or get them recovered.

Then start working on your AC, about the middle of next April. ;-)

Cheers!

Adam

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

1975 Millie the Falcon (Originally Polaris, currently Primer-Grey/Spa-Blue)

1975 Eamon the Golden Nugget (Originally Golf, currently several other yellows, someday Dakar)

John,

Yes, welcome to our disease!

Regarding your door not closing properly... Before you go and do any adjustments, make sure that you have good door latch caps. They fit on the door latch and without those babies, the door will not close or close properly no matter how much adjusting you do or how hard you slam it.

If they're even worn or cracked, replace them... they're cheap and will save you from a lot of possibly unnecessary work and frustration.

Good Luck,

Mike

post-17123-13667615199812_thumb.png

post-17123-13667615203127_thumb.png

Mike

73 tii #2764014